my dog just got killed :-(

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

semidevil

Today me and my wife were walking the dog around campus on a leash. Another guy on the other side of the street was also walking his dog on the leash and all of a sudden, the guy's leash broke came and bit my dog in the neck. After his dog let go, he just walked away, and I had to go and stop him.

He repeatedly said that my dog is ok, and to not worry and would not apologize until we asked him to. Even though he did, it was not sincere. My wife was crying and ask why he did not say sorry when it happened, and the guy raise his voice. We immediatly took my dog to an emergency clinic, but it was already too late.

I then reported this to the campus police. The police clld the guy to ask what happnened. Thankfully, the guy admitted fault and said he will take responsibility. the cop called me back and said that I can call him and we can negotiate.

I really dont know what to do. My dog is a 13 week old welsh corgi, and we had it for about 2 months. I dont know what to 'negotiate.' I hate the guy, to tell you the truth. He killed my dog. My dog literally died in our arms while we were driving to the hospital.

I"m not in the mood to call him now, but when I call him, what do I say? We lost a live being, a best friend, there is really no dollar value that can replace this. I just dont know what to do from here.

anybody ever have this experience. what do I do?

*update*
update on this:

I talked to him on the phone and he told me to go find estimates on how much it would cost to replace the pet and send him an email of the costs with the vet costs. I feel better that he is willing to do something to replace, but it still sucks that we have to go through this in the first palce. Now First of all, my dog is a gift so I dont have a specific replacement cost on this, and we probably dont have proof of how much was paid for. second of all, the corgi pets range in price, so I'm worried that if I quote him a price, he will disagree and want to just pay the lowest cost. We have the right to set the price and he should not be able to dispute it right?

if a dog can really cost that much, then we have a right to get that much right?

Stoner

Banned
I'm sorry to hear this. I've been close to the dogs I've had in the past and the one I have now.
They're family.
Just a suggestion as it's an uncomfortable situation, perhaps a third party, a friend or relative could represent you rather than you speaking directly with this person?
Legally, I doubt there's much beyond a dollar value that could be used in settlement......I know..sad but true.

To better days......

Jack.

That's terrible! :(

I'm not a lawyer, and I've never been in a situation like that... so I don't really know what to tell you as far as settlelment. But I have lost pets before, and all I can say is that you have my condolences. :(

Shadow Bea

Cherished forever in our hearts
That is horrible :(
I am so sorry .. no ideas about what to do .. so sorry though.

I am very sorry to hear about your loss. It is a tough delimma. You and your wife have suffered a grievous loss in a traumatic way. Your dog was more than property but also much like a child. It is a very sad situation, and at the same time if it were me, I would also be very angry, and very sad.

The other man's dog should have been controlled, and it was his responsibility to control his dog. What happened to you and your wife and your puppy could happen again, if the man is not more responsible.

Campus police are not the final authority in this case. If it were me, I would contact your local animal control authority. They will undoubtably have much experience in dealing with this sort of situation, and perhaps can advise or counsel you.

I think your instincts are correct to not contact the other man too quickly. This is an emotional time for you.

Putting emotions aside for one moment, I know that is hard to do, and I know that you do not care about the money right now, what you want is your dog, but at the very least the man owes you restitution for the value of your dog and any veterinary costs resulting from the attack.

I don't know what else to say, putting thoughts into words doesn't come easily to me, but I want to offer my heart felt condolences to you and your wife.

P.S. After posting my reply, I read Jack's reply and I think Jack's idea to have a third party represent you is a very good one.

Semidevil I'm so sorry about you dog :(

I think you should get restitution, & possibly to the cost of another dog later on,
but it won't make up for the loss of the one you had.

Sorry here too..
Had to burry my good friend, a year ago... Pit/Lab mix..

I cried for a few days... It hurts, it really does..
As for me, I just wasn't raised to treat dogs as people, so I only know mine was a loyal friend.. But a value?.. I don't think I could set something like that..

It was sort of an accident.. You said the leash broke.. And sad to say, that happens, but it is his fault and should at least pay all the medical expenses..

He failed to control his dog, and should cover your medical on your dog.. That simple.

Datalyss

Banned
I know what it's like to lose a four-legged family member. It's hurts the heart. This is very sad. :(

That other guys dog killed your dog. That other dog should be put to death. Maybe that dogs owner will then know your pain.

Datalyss said:
I know what it's like to lose a four-legged family member. It's hurts the heart. This is very sad. :(

That other guys dog killed your dog. That other dog should be put to death. Maybe that dogs owner will then know your pain.
I agree the dog should be put down, not as revenge but because it is a vicious animal. It was your dog today, it might be someones kid the animal decides doesn't need to live anymore tomorrow.

I'd pursue having the dog put down as well as him paying for my dog.:mad: I know money isn't the issue for you but since this guy simply had no feelings in the matter, maybe money is the only way he will feel any real remorse.

eggplant43

A True Heart and Soul - Gone But Never Forgotten
Difficult situation, I feel your pain. I do feel animal control should get involved, as it does sound like he has a vicious dog, and it shoulk be brought to the attention of the proper authorities. For the rest, I suspect time will help more than anything else.

It is my understanding that when you share your life with an animal, you are sharing your life with another soul. Thus, it is heart wrenching to see this life extinguished, just like that.

angelize56

Always remembered in our hearts
semidevil: I'm very sorry to hear of the tragic loss of your beloved pet! :(

J

Jonesiegirl

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

http://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online