1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My DVD drive for some reason won't play DVD's anymore

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by duduc, Feb 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. duduc

duduc Thread Starter

Good day everyone

I have windows 7 64bitOS

My DVD drive for some reason won't play DVD's anymore.
    It does recognize and but it won't ope it.
    Once i click to open DVD i get message

"This file does not have a program associated with it for preforming this action.Please install program or create an association in the Default programs control panel.

I really can't figure out what is going on. I did some Google research but no luck.

Anyone knows what it could be?

Thank you

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Try starting whatever software player you normally use to play DVDs and then see if can access and play the DVD. Are you trying to play commercially pressed video DVDs or burned discs?

3. duduc

duduc Thread Starter

even original dvd's won't be played

But strange that i see in my computer

dvd drive the title of the dvd movie....

And once i click on it i get message

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    What happens when you try to open the DVD from within your DVD player software?

5. duduc

duduc Thread Starter

if i have my WMP open thn it will start to play,If i had it closed than it won't

I did try to make auto play but no luck

thank you

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing ...

Put a movie DVD in the optical drive

In "My Computer" you should see the disc with the movie title as the disc name.

Right click on the DVD and select "Open AutoPlay ..." to open the basic AutoPlay menu

Click on "View more AutoPlay options in Control Panel" to open the AutoPlay Control Panel

In the control panel make sure that "DVD Movie" and "Enhanced DVD move" both have "Play DVD movie in Windows Media Player" selected as the default operation.

If your drive supports playing Blu-ray discs, make sure "Play DVD movie in Windows Media Player" is selected as the default operation as well.

Click the "Save" button at the bottom of the advanced control panel.

After all that, see if you can now have WMP start when you put in a DVD Movie.

I am going to bed soon and will be checking back in the morning.

7. duduc

duduc Thread Starter

Hi Chuck

Sorry for slow reply

I did what you told me but no changes :(

I don't have blue ray

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I'll try to check into other possible solutions on my Win 7 64 bit computer when I eventually get home tonight. May be a long, slow commute due to weather.

9. duduc

duduc Thread Starter

Thank you i really appreciate your time and effort.

10. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I could not duplicate your problem on my computer running 64 Bit Windows 7 Home last night. A bit of Google searching suggests that you are not the only one having the problem. Here is one possible explanation of the problem and a way to resolve it:

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/233121-autoplay-not-working-windows-7-64-bit.html

Hopefully some other members here may offer additional solution suggestions.

EDIT: Ooops. The previous link was for autoplay problems and not your, "This file does not have a program associated with it ..." error message. Here is a link to a possible quick solution:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-able-to/7186f5d5-c9f9-4368-9e7a-e1047c7901d8

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090919

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice