1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

my dvd has taken 7 hours to burn

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by playme123, Apr 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. playme123

playme123 Thread Starter

Right not sure where to begin really so hope all this will make sense.............

Bought this computer over the weekend

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWN:IT&ih=016

Ive got some burning software by the name of MySonicDVD on the PC but when trying to load it up comes up DMA disabled, well ive done everything to inable it....no joy.........so thought ive got Nero 5 somewhere, dug that out installed it and tried to use that, but it first came up couldnt be used as not correct bundle package (or something similiar), then manage to get sort of somewhere but it didnt like the fact it was an .avi.

So I remembered seeing a thread other day and DVD Flick was mentioned...........so yesterday dug out a DVD+RW to try it out, well I was a little dense so after about 2 hours, had to re-do it (please dont ask why as I was having a very bad blonde moment). Anyhow re-started the process, had to leave it as went to work, came home YIPPEEE it worked but took from 12.30pm until the OH came in, he couldnt use the puter as had slowed right down and it finally finished at 7pm.

Now nearly 7 hours to burn a dvd hmmmm, ive not got much of a life but a little bit of one to not waste 7 hours a time.

So can anyone help, recommend anything........tell me what I maybe doing wrong, or just call me thick I dont mind just some help guys/girlies.

Thank you

Edit * It seems there are some slight differences between the one the bloke advertises to the one I have*

2. swwelsh

swwelsh

I couldn't get your link to come up, but if I've got it right you are trying to burn a large .avi file, and you are getting messages from the system that you have DMA turned off to the DVD burner? Try this article to see how to turn on DMA for the drive. Having a drive in PIO mode could slow down burning like you describe. You might also have a relatively slow DVD burner, and if you don't have a lot of system memory, burning a large file or mastering a dvd could take a while. It is also possible that the drive is bad or there are errors in the file you are burning. To get right to device manager as mentioned in the article: click on start, then run, then type devmgmt.msc

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx

3. playme123

playme123 Thread Starter

sorted the dma issue however the dvd now wont burn a dvd

4. swwelsh

swwelsh

Do you get error messages when you try to burn something? The drive could be bad. Windows turns off dma access to drives if there are read errors. Does it read discs? Tried another blank disc? Tried a different burner program? If none of that helps I would replace it, dvd burners are pretty cheap these days

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704236

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice