1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My DVD/ROM won't work:(

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by darkelf_18, Sep 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. darkelf_18

darkelf_18 Thread Starter

Hello, I recently a copy of Linux World Magazine and that issue came with a DVD, that has a bunch of linux stuff on it that I want. But when I booted up Linux I found that my DVD/ROM doesn't work.
    When I tried playing a DVD movie it said the drive doesn't read that type of codec. I looked a the CDROM mounts and saw that it said something like mount 1 cdrom1, and mount 2 cdrom2 or something like that I can't remember exactly, but I was wondering if maybe I have manualy have to mount th DVDROM drive as something other then cdrom2, maybe like dvdrom1 or something.
    I don't have any clue as to why my DVDROM won't work, but any help would be great.
    Thanks,
    D.E.

2. estatik

estatik

Did you install libdvdcss2? All "out of the box" distros do not support encrypted dvds, so you will have to find the libdvdcss2 file and install that.

Where you might ask? If you haven't done so already, configure your sources from where to download packages (I'm assuming you are still using mandrake?) by going to http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/index.php and follow the instructions.

Here's another site to help you configure your sources and also how to get dvds to play with linux. http://www.zebulon.org.uk/urpmi_en.html Great many useful packages to obtain from the souces.

One thing to note, if you installed from the basic 3-cd isos, you should configure the contrib, main, update, plf and texstar sources but if you have the powerpack, DO NOT configure the contrib source(made that mistake before someone informed me why all my cd souces magically disappeared!). You can then play dvds using mplayer or xine or ogle.

If you need help post back and I will either offer assitance or direct you to some good sites.

estatik

3. darkelf_18

darkelf_18 Thread Starter

Hey estatik, thanks for the info on libdvdcss2. Yeah I installed it and my DVD drive still won't read the DVD disc I got from Linux World Magazine. I've tried other DVDs like Metal Gear Solid 2 S.O.L. and some other Movies, I'm able to access the data on them(couldn't install metal gear of course) but when I pop in the DVD I got from Linux World Magazine and try to access the disc it just tells me that, "KDE crashed and I should contact the author" or something like that. So is the disc bad? And is there anyway to access it through Win XP? Like a emulator or something? Anyway thanks for the help so far.
    D.E.

4. estatik

estatik

Hmmm...so the dvd that you got from LWM basically just has files on it? And it's not a video format dvd? I guess I was a bit confussed by your post, my mistake. Are you able to play dvd movies at all? And which software(s) are you using to play the dvds? Are you dual-booting? Have you tried to access the LWM dvd though XP? Can you list all the software(packages) that you had installed for dvd play? Or better yet, I'll list mine and you can go from that. If you have installed xine or ogle, did you follow the step-by-step installation, because there is a specific order to install certain packages BTW.

From my experience, when I had ogle and xine installed together, and later installed mplayer, whenever I tried to play dvds, specifically with ogle, it would crash. (Incompatibility?) So, I don't use ogle anymore and prefer using xine(dvd navagation is top notch compared to ogle IMO).

The only thing that comes to mind regarding the konqueror crash is that you didn't install all the necessary packages? Try uninstalling the dvd software and all its dependencies and re-install the packages again. Mplayer crashed on me the first time I accessed dvd playback and later found that some packages were not installed. Here's a list of packages that I have installed for dvd play (some pacakges are not essential, but what the hey):

a52dec-0.7.4-2mdk
    avifile-divx4-07.38-1plf
    avifile-lame-0.7.38-1plf
    avifile-player-0.7.38-1plf
    avifile-win32-0.7.38-1plf
    avifile-xvid-0.7.38-1plf
    divx4linux-20020418-3plf
    fame-0.9.0-1plf
    ffmpeg-0.4.6-2mdk
    libaviplayavcodec0.7-0.7.38-1plf
    libdivx4linux0-20020418-3plf
    libdvdcss2-1.2.8-1plf
    libdvdnav1-0.1.3-2mdk
    libdvdplay0-1.0.0-1mdk
    libdvdread-utils-0.9.3-4mdk
    libdv2-0.99-3mdk
    libffmpeg0.4.6-0.4.6-2mdk
    libggi-2.0.2-2mdk
    libggi2-2.0.2-2mdk
    libgii-0.8.2-3mdk
    libgii0-0.8.2-3mdk
    libhda0.1-0.91-4plf
    libimlib2_1-1.0.6-2mdk
    libimlib2_1-filters1.0.6-2mdk
    libimlib2_1-loaders-1.0.6-2mdk
    liblirc0-.6.6-1mdk
    liblzo1-1.08-1mdk
    libmpeg2dec0-0.3.1-2mdk
    libmpeg3-progs-1.5-1plf
    libmpeg3_1-1.5-1plf
    libpostproc0.0.91-4plf
    librte0.4-.04-2plf
    librte1-0.5.1-1plf
    libspeex-1.0.1-1tex
    libxosd2-2.1.3-1mdk
    mencoder-0.91-4plf
    mpeg2dec-0.3.1-2mdk
    mplayer-0.91-4plf
    mplayer-gui-0.91-4plf
    mplayer-skins-1.3-7mdk
    ogmtools-1.0.1-1mdk
    openquicktime-1.0-5plf
    openquicktime-apps-1.0-5plf
    RealPlayer-codecs-9.0-1mdk
    real-codecs-1.2-1plf
    rte-0.4-2plf
    smpeg-player-0.4.4-18mdk
    win32-codecs-1.4-2plf
    xanim-codecs-1.0-2plf
    xine-aa-1.0rc0.5tex
    xine-alsa-1.0.rc0.5tex
    xine-arts-1.0.rc0.5tex
    xine-d5d--0.2.7-2plf
    xine-dvdnav-1-0.rc0.5tex
    xine-esd-1.0.rc0.5tex
    xine-faad-1.0.rc0.5tex
    xine-lib-compat-aa-0.9.13-11mdk
    xine-lib-compat-alsa-0.9.13-11mdk
    xine-lib-compat-arts-0.9.13-11mdk
    xine-lib-compat-divx4-0.9.13-10plf
    xine-lib-compat-esd-0.9.13-11mdk
    xine-lib-compat-faad-0.9.13-10plf
    xine-lib-compat-plugins-0.9.13-11mdk
    xine-lib-compat-win32-0.9.13-10plf
    xine-lib-compat-xvid-0.9.13.10plf
    xine-plugins-1.0.rc0.5tex
    xine-ui-0.9.22-1mdk
    xine-ui-aa-0.9.22-1mdk
    xine-ui-fb-0.9.22-1mdk
    xine-win32-1.0.rc0.5tex
    xine_d4d_plugin-0.3.2-2plf
    xine_dmd_plugin-1.0.7-1plf
    xmms-smpeg-0.3.5-1mdk
    xosd-2.1.3-1mdk

*plus any other dependecies which rpmdrake or urpmi advises you to install

So, I dunno, if your are dual-booting and the LWM dvd is accessable in win XP but not in linux, I'm pretty stumped. Oh, there's no need to manually mount the dvd, mandrake takes care of that for you. If you take a peek in your /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab files, the /mnt/cdrom(x) pretaining to your dvd-rom drive should be supermount (ie. none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/hdc,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0).

estatik

5. srhoades

srhoades

I don't think you need an emulator to view it in Win XP. DVD is a standard format, a filesystem of its own so to speak. It is not dependant on the filesystem of the operating system.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!