1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My DVD will not burn pictures to DVD

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ingydrummer, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ingydrummer

ingydrummer Thread Starter

I can't figure out if I am missing something, but My DVD/CD player will not write pictures to a DVD. When I put a brand new DVD into tray and click properties its reading that the disc is full not empty. I still continued to try and burn photo's to it but I get nothing. In device manager it telling me everything is working properly. Im stumped? Anyone ever have this problem? Thanks in Advance... The unit ia a
    TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H553A

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Windows XP itself does not support burning DVDs. You need a third party program to recognize and burn to a recordable DVD. What software are you using for burning?

3. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    I can recommend a very good one that will work on windows xp and its very easy to use. its called burnaware and you will want to download the free version.it burns both cds and dvds and is very fast.

4. ingydrummer

Thanks to both of you for reply. I don't have any till I read your post but now I installed Record now, from Sonic. I am going to try this again, but I still cannot get my cdrom to read disks that already have pics. on them. This is strange because the computer is listing that the devise is working properly.

5. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Were you trying to open a burned CD or DVD with pictures? Were you ever able to view the pictures on the disc on any computer? Are you able to play any music CDs or view the contents of a commercially made data CD (like a program CD that you purchased)?

If it is a CD-R or CD-RW disc, take a look at the recorded side and see if the recorded area has two slightly different rings of color. A disc that is barely filled would have a small ring near the center of the disc. A disc that is nearly filled would have a small different colored ring near the outer edge.

If you are using Windows XP to burn the files to a CD-R or CD-RW disc, I believe it is a two step process (haven't done it in years). Dragging or copying files files to a blank CD icon notifies Windows XP that you wish to burn files to a CD, but does not actually burn anything to the disc. You have to specifically tell Windows XP that you are done adding files and that it should now burn them to the disc.

6. ingydrummer

Yes, the disk had photo's on it. I stuck it in my laptop and was able to view the pics with no problem. There has got to be a problem with the software for my dvd/cdrom drive. Im sitting here going through everything and I still can't get it to work correctly. It will run when I put a reinstall disk in, thats whats so confusing.

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    BurnAware Free 5.5

Ashampoo Burning Studio Free 6.83.4312

are what I use.

They work great with Windows XP, Vista, and 7. (y)

----------------------------------------------------------------

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I did a Google search for the TS-H553A and it seems to be a Dell specific part number. Many of the Google results were for people having problems with getting the drive to read or burn certain types discs. Most of the information was about four years old and some of it dealt with needing a drivers update. You may want to check Dell's support site to see if you have the latest driver software installed for the drive.

Was the photo disc you are able to read on the laptop a CD or DVD and was the re-install disc a CD or DVD? Was the photo disc created on the desktop or the laptop?

Be cautious about doing any firmware updates for the drive. A mistake there or an unexpected power outage could kill the drive during the update.

9. ingydrummer

The photo disc was a CD, the re-install was also a CD. The photo disk was created on an earlier desktop computer I had but used the same Kodak software. Now, on my Dell XPS 410, Kodak cannot detect a CD/ROM drive and is telling me to search easyshare support for updated driver support, but they no longer have any update support for the Kodak? Does not make sense to me, but whatever. I dont need to use Kodak, but i still can't get Sony, which I use now to detect a drive.

10. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    If you created a Kodak Photo CD using some old Kodak software, I believe the photos were saved as a proprietary PCD file within folders on the disc. On your current computer, with the problems, are you able to to explore the folders on the Photo CD and just have a problem opening the actual PCD files?

Have you checked the support section of the Dell web site to see if they have downloadable drivers for the TSSTcorp TS-H553A?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088191

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice