1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My email account breached?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by sharky, Aug 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

I went to my Yahoo email account today, first time in about 3 days.

First i notice after signing in, i notice i have the new Yahoo email website design [actually not too new] Not too big a deal
    But then i notice i had about 30 INBOX emails saying ' [email protected]", all received within 2 minutes.of each other. Some of the email addresses on them ii recognized others were politician names.

The emails had no messages, but had 3 paragraphs of this:
    ...LFD5M3UdA0rOmga8AIzQMjoMwRjen95a0sVVM_tXraHqlGwWYyLgJUEkuzvz
    5iXojx9HX24jRlupMk.pScoXK1FPXND5KlCtujS1.3RsWaoMGXOoJu5SGtEh
    QBN45ta00nKxNAGQ_.a_fqK8jnHT0lGEWNowBIu8....

I changed the password, but now i notice another email account has absolutely no ties to my first email account, has one funny email.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Could be email spoofing.

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

I wouldn't worry too much about them. Maybe it is spam in some other language. Just don't open any attachments.

4. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

"Yahoo! Account Security has identified a possible risk to your account."

Something went on. I just got this message when i logged in today.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

What did it tell you?

The mailer daemon returns are often not real. They use that method to get SPAM to you since they are rarely filtered out by SPAM filters.

6. orion5893

orion5893

Were there any messages in your Sent folder? But yeah it's probably just spam and if it's not then it's good that you changed your password.

7. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

re:nothing unusual in the 'sent box''

I am not overly concerned,there is nothing of monetary value in my email account.
    Many of the false email returns have politician names as addresses.Some police officers addresses. Some email addresses i have sent emails to in the past.

I am guessing it may have something to do with this:
    http://www.infosecurity-magazine.co...lass-action-lawsuit-over-password-data-breach

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [email protected] Failure Notice Fri, 8/3/12 7KB
    Unread Internet Mail Delivery Delivery Status Notification (Failure) - [AKO Content Violation - SPAM] Fri, 8/3/12 6KB
    Read [email protected] Failure Notice Fri, 8/3/12 7KB
    Read [email protected] Failure Notice Fri, 8/3/12 8KB
    Unread [email protected] Failure Notice Fri, 8/3/12 7KB
    Read [email protected] Failure Notice Fri, 8/3/12 8KB
    Unread [email protected] Failure Notice Fri, 8/3/12 8KB
    Unread [email protected][/[ No Subject ] Fri, 8/3/12 7KB
    Read [email][email protected]
    Failure Notice Fri, 8/3/12 7KB

8. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I think this is another Yahoo email hack.

My wife just told me she got an email from my yahoo account.

I logged into my yahoo account and sure enough, there was a notification from Yahoo saying my account was accessed from computers it did not recognize. I checked my account login activity and sure enough my account had been logged into a few hours ago from an IP in Poland. I had several emails in my sent box with all kinds of spam websites in the body of the emails.

What I don't get is I just changed my yahoo password last month when Yahoo confirmed they had 400,000 accounts compromised and I don't even use that Yahoo Voice service. I changed my password to a pretty strong 14 character password with special characters, letters and numbers. This tells me that Yahoo was breached again.

9. Phantom010

It's not easy to crack a webmail account password. I'd bet on email spoofing instead. That's very common these days. It's mostly caused by careless contacts.

I use webmail mostly for registrations or unimportant things. Nothing personal or sensitive. Some accounts have had the same stupid short easy to remember passwords for years, and I've never ever been hacked in any way. I don't even receive spam.

10. Squashman

Yahoo keeps track of your Logins. And it even gives you a notification if it feels you logged in from a computer it does not recognize. And considering I had a dozen emails in my sent box and at 5:11 pm yesterday and I had a login to my account from an IP address in Poland, it is pretty much a guarantee it wasn't spoofing!

I agree with you that it is not easy to brute force a complex password but when Yahoo keeps passwords in CLEAR text on some of their systems and that system is hacked you are pretty much you know what! SCREWED!

11. Phantom010

Yeah, I agree. It does seem unlikely.

However, cracking a password is a lot of trouble just to send spam. I think spoofing is more common.

12. Squashman

I sent an email to Yahoo Security and the ISP who owns the ip address of the offender. They had an abuse email listed in their Whois Lookup.

13. Phantom010

If you change your password again, and still find those questionable logins, I'd have a talk with Yahoo... Or, I'd scan my computer for malware... ;) :)

14. Phantom010

However, spam will almost always come from blacklisted IP ranges.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1063736