My ethernet-cable is not recognized

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rookr420

For about a week now my ethernet-cable cant be recognized, even though I can connect to my Wi-Fi. Ive tried several different cables but it wont work. I also deactivated and reactivated the network adapters. I installed the latest drivers but that didnt make a difference.

What do you think it can be?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You haven't provided a description of your computer and its operating system, so there's not much that we can do for you right now.

Assuming that's a factory-brand computer, what's its brand name and model name and model number?

Which operating system(XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10) and bit version(32, 64) is it running?

---------------------------------------------------------------

TerryNet

Terry
Plus what do you mean by "cant be recognized" and under what conditions?

rookr420

You haven't provided a description of your computer and its operating system, so there's not much that we can do for you right now.

Assuming that's a factory-brand computer, what's its brand name and model name and model number?

Which operating system(XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10) and bit version(32, 64) is it running?

Plus what do you mean by "cant be recognized" and under what conditions?
Windows 10 64 bit
Intel I5 4460
Nvidia Gtx 750 Ti

I have never had a problem with this before. When I try to connect to ethernet, it wont recognize that the cable is plugged in. The router works fine for everybody else and Ive tried different cables aswell. Sometimes it connects via Wi-Fi instead.

http://www.inet.se/produkt/1972578/lenovo-erazer-x310-i5-8gb-1tb-sshd-gtx-750-ti#/specs

Sorry for wrong language

rookr420

Ive tried troubleshooting the issue but the answer is always the cable is damaged or not properly connected.
Its a Lenovo Erazer X310

TerryNet

Terry
Sounding like the ethernet adapter is defective. Disable (or switch off) the wireless, make sure the ethernet cable is plugged in, and Restart the system. If it still thinks that there is no cable that almost 100% means the adapter is defective.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Your Lenovo Erazer X310 gaming desktop appears to have an Intel motherboard which has 3 PCI Express x1 slots.

If its integrated ethernet adapter is defective, you can replace it with a PCI Express x1 ethernet card.

Here are 2 Intel models that I've used.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

plodr

Liz
Also try a different ethernet cable. The CAT cables can go bad.

rookr420

Your Lenovo Erazer X310 gaming desktop appears to have an Intel motherboard which has 3 PCI Express x1 slots.

If its integrated ethernet adapter is defective, you can replace it with a PCI Express x1 ethernet card.

Here are 2 Intel models that I've used.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Do you think it would work by using a Gigabit -> USB adapter instead?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I've never used a USB gigabit ethernet adapter, so I don't know how well they work or how reliable they are.

If you do you will be limited by the speed of the USB port and will not get Gigabit speeds.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online