1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My external hard drive is no longer recognized.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by scrppun1, Jul 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scrppun1

scrppun1 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Turion(tm) II Ultra Dual-Core Mobile M600, AMD64 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3836 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200, 320 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 460935 MB, Free - 70504 MB; D: Total - 15699 MB, Free - 2528 MB;
    Motherboard: Quanta, 3638
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

Hello,
    Almost a year ago I purchased an Ironkey H80 1 TB external hard drive for my laptop because I was getting very low on space and my computer had become extremely sluggish and slow. I followed the instructions to the letter and implemented my username and password. All was well, I used it from time to time without any incidents or problems. Until yesterday when I plugged it in and clicked on the access folder and instead of being able to input my information in order to unlock the device and gain access to my stored files, I received the following message instead: "The image on this device does not contain a proper end user license agreement. Please halt usage of this product and contact your administrator to fix the image and apply it to your device." I contacted both Ironkey tech support and spoke to a rep, who sent me a link which referred me to Microsoft. After over 3 hours of trying their step by step instructions and the 2nd accidental call disconnect, I was no closer to getting this issue resolved. But from what I could gather from what both reps told me and doing searches/reading articles on the Microsoft website it is a network mapping issue where there was a collision between the letter drives that were assigned when I first connected the external hard drive to my computer and how my computer either changed that assigned letter or deleted it, or something like that. This is speculation based on the few bits and pieces I could understand. I even downloaded a hotfix from Microsoft that supposedly dealt with this kind of problem, but I could not get it to run because it was created for Windows XP. I would really appreciate any feedback about how to straighten out this mess. At this point I'm not even sure if this problem can be fixed let alone how to do it. But if there is, I am good at following steps. So I hope this is the case. Thank you for you time and attention in this matter and I thank you in advance for any suggestions you can provide. I look forward to hearing your responses.

2. Frozwire

Frozwire

Hi Welcome to TSG Forums,

Is your computer connected to a network domain? Have you also tried to plug the external drive to a different computer?

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the complete model number of that HP Pavilion dv7 series laptop?

There will be a dash and additional characters after dv7 that comprises the complete model number.

Also advise what the part/product number(P/N) on it is.

That laptop appears to have a 500 GB hard drive which is about 85% full.

That's one reason for the slowness, but it's my guess it also has a large number of running processes.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I've never used an external hard drive, so I can't address any issues with yours.

-----------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1130649

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice