1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

my external hard drive is unknown and not initialized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hanadee, Jul 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hanadee

hanadee Thread Starter

hello there ,
    i have a Toshiba hard drive 500 GB it was working fine but suddenly when i plugged into my laptop i discovered it is not working and when i go to disk management it said Disk 2 unknown and not initialized.
    i tried to plug it in another computers but nothing changed.
    i have many thing in that drive i need them so could you please help me ?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I assume you have tried another usb cable; that is the very first thing to do.
    If you have already done the above, then the next thing I would do would be to pull the drive out of the enclosure and connect it as an internal drive. Note you must have a working desktop to accomplish this task. If that does not work, you can send the drive to a data recovery shop. This last step is NOT cheap so get an estimate. A simple recovery using software can run $250 or so plus the cost of whatever media you want the data copied to AND it goes way up from there.
    Data you do not backup is data you do not care about AND you should expect to lose said data. All drives fail; it is only a question of when your drive will fail.

3. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

You need to be very careful NOT to do anything that writes on that drive or you will probably never get it back.
    Get the free trial of http://www.hdtune.com 's pro version and install it. Hook up the Toshiba. Run HDTune and select that drive. Look on the health tab and, in the data column, if the values of (05) Reallocated sectors or (C5) pending sectors is anything but zero, we'll need to clone it to a replacement drive before attempting to get it back.
    If they are zero, run the error scan to see if there are any bad sectors.
    Then, please post back.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1174638

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice