My external HDD won't work anymore!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

FlatlightProduc

Hello, today as I turned on my computer I noticed that my USB 500gb HDD doesn't give any life. I can see that it's detected but that's all. It also lags for about 2-3 minutes once I plug it in my computer.

* Clicking on the drive results in an error message saying that the parameter is incorrect.
* sfc /scannow doesn't detect any integrity violations.
* Trying to run chkdsk /f doesn't result in doing anything. It just has this "_" bleeping but no actual % or any sign of progress like in the videos I've seen.

Please help, these are really important files. I'd be grateful to anyone who could help!

Attachments

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
My external HDD won't work anymore!
today as I turned on my computer I noticed that my USB 500gb HDD doesn't give any life. I can see that it's detected but that's all.
A storage drive which is rated 500 GB has an actual capacity of 465 GB.
The only storage drive that I can see in your image which is in that category is the internal C: drive which contains Windows 10.

Capture.JPG

Can you advise us if the D: and E: and F: and G: drives are internal or USB external storage drives?
Can you advise us what their rated capacities are, and if any of them are in more than 1 partition?

----------------------------------------------------

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Frank, since the OP was attempting to run a checkdisk on drive G:, I'd guess that the drive indicated as "Local Disk (G)" is the non-functional drive in question.

Flatlight Produc, have you tried to run the manufacturer's diagnostics on that external drive? Tried other USB ports?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Mark:
I looked more closely at the first image, and I see now what you're saying about the G: drive.
It would still be nice though to have clarification about all the drives shown.

--------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online