Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My external HDD won't work anymore!

289 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  flavallee 
#1 ·
Hello, today as I turned on my computer I noticed that my USB 500gb HDD doesn't give any life. I can see that it's detected but that's all. It also lags for about 2-3 minutes once I plug it in my computer.

* Clicking on the drive results in an error message saying that the parameter is incorrect.
* sfc /scannow doesn't detect any integrity violations.
* Trying to run chkdsk /f doesn't result in doing anything. It just has this "_" bleeping but no actual % or any sign of progress like in the videos I've seen.

Please help, these are really important files. I'd be grateful to anyone who could help!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
My external HDD won't work anymore!
today as I turned on my computer I noticed that my USB 500gb HDD doesn't give any life. I can see that it's detected but that's all.
A storage drive which is rated 500 GB has an actual capacity of 465 GB.
The only storage drive that I can see in your image which is in that category is the internal C: drive which contains Windows 10.

Capture.JPG

Can you advise us if the D: and E: and F: and G: drives are internal or USB external storage drives?
Can you advise us what their rated capacities are, and if any of them are in more than 1 partition?

----------------------------------------------------

#3 ·
Frank, since the OP was attempting to run a checkdisk on drive G:, I'd guess that the drive indicated as "Local Disk (G)" is the non-functional drive in question.

Flatlight Produc, have you tried to run the manufacturer's diagnostics on that external drive? Tried other USB ports?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.