my fan on my mobo is very VERY loud *pulls hair out*

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

angelique01

I have an Asus mobo and have been using the fan they gave me with it, which I am now regreting. When the computer has been on for some time, it get's so loud that it's sometimes louder than my tv and I'm afraid if it spins any louder it might spin off :p. Of course, I don't think that is likely, but I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a quiter fan. I don't have alot of $$$, so I was thinking something between $30-$50 from newegg.com, anything to make it stop, :eek: :D.

I own a ASUS P5GPL Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 915PL ATX Intel Motherboard

Have you taken a can of compressed air and blown that fan out?

If so, and its still noisy, yeah, they do go bad after awhile.

Personally, I use water cooling, and AMD CPU's. I dont know any of the new, nifty, glowing, blinking, whatever... CPU Coolers out there.. Someone here will be able to recommend one. ;)

-Gonz

lol looking at one i found its measured in sones wtf lol. from artic cooling site this is wat they say.
The loudness depends upon ears response curves and tells you exactly, how bothering a certain noise is. Sone takes the frequency and bandwidth of a sound into account.
A doubling of the number of Sones sounds to the human ear like a doubling of the loudness.
The comparison of products from different manufacturers is basically impossible, since all manufacturers measure in different ways. Even a rough translation from Sone to dB doesn't help. A 15dB cooler can be louder than a 1 Sone cooler from another manufacturer.

Nevertheless with the Sone data you can compare our coolers between each other and get a quite precise idea how annoying the product will be.
1 Sone: nearly inaudible in a computer case
2 Sones: clearly audible
3 Sones and more:

might help you when you pick out cooler for ones that say sone

hey angelique if your fan keep's getting louder it's quite possible the bearing's in it are failing , make sure you get ball bearing high quality fan, it will last a long time and are typically more quiet that sleve bearing fan's,

Bal3Wolf, I just got a great deal on that 3.0e and stuck it in my machine, it hit's 4gig with no problem's I cranked it up to 4.1 with no problem either , I think it will go higher but gonna leave it at 4gig for now, of course I use liquid cooling for it and the temps start at 38 and rarly see 45 degrees under heavy gaming, I don't know if I lucked out with this one but it's one fast chip.

ya derrick i hit 4.05ghz but im on air and this motherboard is really holding me back i thk with the vcore adjustments.

I'd save a little more for this one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118223

I'm partial to Zalman, and the CNPS9500 is listed as fitting your motherboard, as long as you have 2.5mm clearance between the top of the motherboard and the power supply. It cools better than the stock fan at lower noise levels.

Part of the reason your fan is so loud, is because as your PC heats up your fan runs faster, the thermaltake model mentioned doesn't seem any better at cooling than the stock heatsink according to the reviews, so your fan would still run fast.

those look like good heatsink's! and cheap too!(y) what ?... I'm surprised Zalman didn't sue Thermaltake on that design !!

lol they all copy each other now change 1 thing and make it 5 bucks cheaper. I got a tt i love but its lound but it cools great.

angelique01

Gonzo1970 said:
Have you taken a can of compressed air and blown that fan out?

If so, and its still noisy, yeah, they do go bad after awhile.
-Gonz
no, I plan on doing that tomorrow when I have time to get into the case. The heatsink is pretty dusty :eek: BTW, thanks for all the suggestions, I like that Zalman one and the Blue Orby thing ;). And speaking of HOT, I have a P4 Prescott CPU, which get's pretty warm sometimes. I also have a pretty old case with no fans in it, lmao, and that itself gets another :eek:

EDIT: Just checked my CPU Temp, looks like somethings not cooling right. 40C-43C is not cool enough. When I first got it, it was a little cooler than that. Mobo is 41C,

Yeah I have the presscott too, I like to overclock so I use the liquid cooling, it has a 1gig overclock and sits' at 38degrees and might see 45 underload, If I didnt use the liquid cooling it would have burned a hole right through the mainboard by now. LOL:p

when I got the 6800gt it ran at 53 degrees with the puny little stock cooler ( I didn't like that!:eek: )
now it runs; 10 degrees cooler.

my chipset is cooled too it sit's at 24degrees.

that's quite hot for your mainboard angel :eek:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online