1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My father in law computer hangs on start and has vertical lines on screen

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by stingray_on, Jan 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stingray_on

stingray_on Thread Starter

I am helping my father in law w/ his computer. He has a gateway win/98 and when it begins to boot,- there is bars/vertical lines on the computer screen. He switched monitors and still gets the lines.

And after Microsoft Logo appears it hangs. You just stare at the hour glass. I went into safe mode and did scan disk and file system check. We uninstall AVG and Zone alarm. But it still continues to hang. We tried Back Up for a couple of weeks , nothing. The vertical lines are there and it continues to hang. I evern tried to repair internet explorer to see if something was wrong w/his settings. Nada

ANybody has any ideas?

2. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

Vertical lines? What colour are they? How thick are they? Are there only one column or multiple columns? Do they take up the entire screen?

When do the lines appear (after POST, Windows screen, etc.)?

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

In Folder Options > View make sure "show all files" is enabled.

Then find c:\msdos.sys and right click on it, select "properties" and make sure there is no check in the "read only" box.

Next open it in Notepad.

Put in the line:

logo=0

close the file and accept the change.

If that doesn't help, run msconfig and remove the check for the autoexec.bat file on the general page, or edit the autoexec.bat file to remove any reference to antivirus scans.

See:

http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...port/kb/articles/Q150/5/16.asp&NoWebContent=1

If that doesn't help, reinstall the Display drivers or update them.

You might also want to test loading a standard VGA driver by using the msconfig > advanced tab option. This will look like Safe Mode but otherwise is normal

4. stingray_on

When the screen begins the lines are red. rolling rog, i will try your suggestions, I wil keep you posted.

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you see a corrupt display from the very beginning of the boot -- even before the Windows Logo screen -- the display card is likely bad. You can try removing and reseating it, but you may need to get another.

You should also check the connection to the monitor -- but this wouldn't cause the boot to hang.

It's also a remote possibility that the power supply is bad -- but leave that to last.

6. stingray_on

where would the display card be?

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Not all computers have installed cards -- some are chips integrated into the motherboard.

But the connection will be where the monitor cable plugs into the rear panel.

If you open the case (shut down first) and see that it is connected to a card, which is installed in a slot -- that's it.

There are two types: AGP and PCI. They are different sizes with the AGP slot usually being brown.

You can determine what the Display Adapter device is by running: dxdiag and looking at the Display tab or by opening the Device Manager and checking the Display properties there.

Note the Device name and driver file version. You should try getting updated Display drivers before doing any card changing.

There are also other tests we can try to determine if the Display drivers are the problem here.

One is to use msconfig as I indicated, select the Advance tab, and enable the Standard VGA 640 driver.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!