my files get made read only

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

americamba

I can't save anything. All my word files are read only.This drives me crazy. I hopeyou can help. thanks, Frank
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU P6200 @ 2.13GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 1844 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 730 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 260242 MB, Free - 208221 MB; D: Total - 29690 MB, Free - 28507 MB;
Motherboard: LENOVO, MoutCook
Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Are you using a "90 day trial" version of Office?

open a command prompt.

Change to the Directory where you store your documents: CD C:\users\<your account name>\documents

set the Attributes to not readonly: attrib -r *.docx

americamba

Dave, it is a paid legit office.

Lunar landing, I can't understand you suggestion. It looks promising. What is the path to get to the point where I change the setting to attrib -r* ?

I enter cd c:\users\my acct name\documents and it just brings me to the folder and its list of files. I don't know what to do next. I guess I don't have the correct original prompt. anyway, thanks. I hope you can bring me home on this issue. Frank

once you are in the directory that holds the documents, then you type "attrib -r *.docx". Attrib is the name of the command. "-r" tells attrib to remove the readonly flag. "*.docx" means any file name with the extension docx"

americamba

Hi Lunalander,
I got to the directory where the files are (by entering c:\users\my acct name\documents) into the search box and then I put in attrib -r* in the same box and hit enter. It blinked. Seems that it was a black DOS screen that flew by. is that it?

But the files (the latest and one or two previous versions are still "read only"..what did I do wrong? thanks, Frank

No, you have to use the command prompt. Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.

Then type in "cd" followed by the directory name. That will make that directory the 'current' directory.

Then use the attrib command.
attrib -r *
There is a space between r and * .

americamba

Thanks guys,

1. Lunarlander,
I did what you said. All went well but they are still Read Only.

2. Firebreather
Backup is unchecked. Also I looked at the MVP document before doing it. But #6 doesn't work for me. How do AI get to screensaver and power button. Also in #8, I can't get to my recycle bin.

thanks to Lunar and Fire for your patience and good will ('tis the Season), Frank

DoubleHelix

Banned
I highly doubt the files are read-only. If you see a mark in the Read-Only box in file properties, that means indexing is enabled.

What is the actual problem you're having with the files?

americamba

Hi Lunarlander,

I did the *.* and got a response from the command prompt black screen which I attach to this. Can you see it? It says "not resetting hidden file" for about 6 files But when I go and try an update and save of the documents in question they come back "read only" Thanks for your patience with this. I try to donate after solving things with techguys and this time I especially will. best, Frank

Attachments

americamba

double helix,

I say they are read only not because of anything in their properties but because they won't let me save them.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online