1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My firewall will not turn on

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by PovZ123, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PovZ123

PovZ123 Thread Starter

Hi, for some reason I can't turn my firewall on. I have tired countless times to turn it on or to change settings or allow programs past the firewall. It won't allow me to allow programs in and I need it for World of Warcraft. Please help. :(

2. Irukku

Irukku

Your ICS (Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing) service is probably stopped. Go on Start->Run->services.msc, look for the service and try to start it.

3. PovZ123

PovZ123 Thread Starter

I did what you said and it stopped it right away. I just need to get my firewall on. I just won't do anything when I click "use recommended settings". I have Windows 7.

4. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

Are you using the Windows Firewall? Or a Third party Software Firewall?

5. Irukku

Irukku

Actually, you're supposed to start the service and see if the firewall works. :)

6. PovZ123

PovZ123 Thread Starter

I'm using Windows firewall.

7. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

Hmm, I could be wrong, but you might have been attacked, best to wait for qualified members or a moderator to help you along.

Best of luck
    Ray

8. indianacarnie

indianacarnie

Try running Malwarebytes from safe mode, the run a sfc/scannow. Might just help

9. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Ref the suggestion above. In Services, it should be set to automatic. You must then either restart the computer, or start the service manually fromm within "Services"

See if you can return the Firewall to it's default:

Type firewall.cpl in Start, Run dialog.
    Click the Advanced tab.
    Click the Restore Defaults button.
    Click Yes to continue when you see this dialog

Restoring the default settings will delete all settings of Windows Firewall that you have made since Windows was installed. This may cause some programs to stop working.

Do you want to continue?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971265

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice