1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My first post: Can't update to IE 6.0

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Invocation, Jul 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Invocation

Invocation Thread Starter

Hi everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself since this is my first post.

I suppose looking at some of the threads I'd have to call myself a beginner (or whatever comes before that). After having major problems with a cracked copy of XP Pro I've just installed W2K. I'm running an AMD Athlon processor and I'm about to make a fool of myself I just know it ....it's got a 750 processor and 260 KB Ram according to the bumf that came with it (although it's about 3 yrs old). My modem is a Speedtouch ADSL PPP.

The thing is I'm trying to update IE cos a lot of the applications I want wont run on version 5.5 or 5 (whichever it is i've got) and whenever I try and install IE 6.0 I get this message:

What are the proxy server settings anyway for one and secondly, yes I can connect to the url they suggest but as for my administrators d/l server I wouldn't know what that was anyway.

The other problem I have is that I installed Firefox but everytime I try to connect I get a message similar to the one above or that there is a problem with the site but surely they can't have a problem with the site every time I try to connect?

Can anyone help please? :(

P.s. I have Avast anti-virus and a GeSWall firewall installed.

Pps. I can d/l the installation file but when I try and install it it wont work.

2. Invocation

Hello again and apologies if this is in the wrong forum but I've bumped this thread cos I could really do with either an answer of some sort or a pointer to the right forum for a question like this. I know no one knows me and it's my first post but I could really do with a little help here please.

3. Clumbsy_Mage

Clumbsy_Mage

Are you logged on to an account with administrative privileges? Have you gone into the connections tab in internet settings and checked your LAN settings, seeing whether there's anything in the proxy server area? Have you gone onto the Microsoft update website and tried updating from there?

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

How are you trying to connect to the internet dialup or broadband?

5. Clumbsy_Mage

Clumbsy_Mage

... ADSL broadband =p

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

You have no proxy server so you need to go into Control Panel, Internet Options, Connections, and choose "never dial a connection" hit apply and OK then see if all is well.

7. Clumbsy_Mage

Clumbsy_Mage

I used to have a Speedtouch ADSL PPP modem, with Wanadoo (a UK ISP now known as Orange) and you would need to dial up to connect, even though it was ADSL. The Speedtouch modem is the standard piece of hardware they would supply you with.

8. Invocation

Thanks mate, I've done what you've suggested but have yet to restart to see if it's worked but thanks for that, much appreciated (y)
    I'll let you know how it goes.

9. Invocation

Right I've just restarted and all is well but what I mean is nothing seems to have changed. So Rich-M, what is supposd to have changed please. I'm not being funny, it's a genuine question?

10. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Speedtouch ADSL PPP. = DSL connection = Broadband

The question I have is when you went from the Windows XP to Windows 2000 was it a fresh install or an upgrade type?

11. Invocation

What happened was I changed the administrators p/w on my copy of XP Pro then when I came to login after doing so for the first time it wouldn't accept the new p/w so I ended up re-formatting the hard drive and installing W2K because there was a lot of stuff on XP Pro I had no need for anyway that was just taking up space. Does this make a difference?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!