Solved My flash drive won't slide open

linsjean

I removed my Lexar 128GB flash drive fom my USB port to charge something else, and now my flash drive won't slide open. Model S75. I wonder if part of it now missing? I mean how hard can it be to slide it open?It has an arrow for the direction to open, but no luck so far. I have lots of important data on this drive.

Any ideas?

Attachments

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Have you pressed down on the arrow part while trying to slide it?

linsjean

Have you pressed down on the arrow part while trying to slide it?
Yes, I did press down on the arrow to try to slide it. Maybe I could go back to the store where I bought it at Office Max and ask them if they can slide it open. If not, I have lost all of my data. I can't even find my receipt.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
That's a good idea. Worst case, if the data is valuable, you or they can break it open, carefully, and put the innards into a USB port and copy the data over to another drive.

linsjean

That's a good idea. Worst case, if the data is valuable, you or they can break it open, carefully, and put the innards into a USB port and copy the data over to another drive.
Oh I didn't know that was an option! I will pass that along to the store in case I need to buy another flash drive, but they should give me another one for free if we have to break it open. I will let you know. thanks.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I removed my Lexar 128GB flash drive fom my USB port to charge something else, and now my flash drive won't slide open. Model S75. I wonder if part of it now missing? I mean how hard can it be to slide it open?It has an arrow for the direction to open, but no luck so far. I have lots of important data on this drive.
linsjean:
A USB flash drive can get lost or damaged easily, so using one as your primary backup source is not advisable.
Hopefully, you have another backup copy of your important data saved in more reliable media.

--------------------------------------------------

linsjean

I do have a Segate 2TB external hard drive. It uses software called Toolkit to back things up. I only found out yesterday how to view the contents of that drive because I wasn't sure it was backing up new things.

Yesterday, I went to OfficeMax and a retail clerk opened up my flash drive with his fingernail. He transferred the data to a new one which slides open and shut at the bottom very easily. If I waited one day longer, my warranty would have expired. So the new one was exchanged to me for free with the data transferred.

I will mark this solved. Thanks!

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Yesterday, I went to OfficeMax and a retail clerk opened up my flash drive with his fingernail. He transferred the data to a new one which slides open and shut at the bottom very easily. If I waited one day longer, my warranty would have expired. So the new one was exchanged to me for free with the data transferred.
:) (y)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online