1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

my friend is a retard (download prevention)

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by the_weeg, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. the_weeg

the_weeg Thread Starter

my friend keeps downloading frostwire into his computer and keeps getting viruses. im tired of fixing that cr*p for him.is there any thing i can put in his com that'll stop him from downloading it? (or atleast something that'll make him look stupid when it opens)

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    As long as your friend knows you're going to come to his rescue every time he practices unsafe browsing and downloading and then infects his computer, he's going to keep right on doing it.

The next time it happens, let him look for someone else to do it for free or be forced to pay a computer shop.

----------------------------------------------------------------

3. the_weeg

the_weeg Thread Starter

is there no way to put something to like block it.
    i saw this thing on householdhacker that makes megaman popup whenever you open a window.i need something like that but maybe i can make something else pop up (wink,wink)i would say i wanna get something that locks that popup but im pretty sure thatd have to be a virus...sooo..yea..not that

4. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

I guess you you block the domain where he gets the app from.
    Router or
    Hosts file or
    Restricted sites in the browser
    But as said above I just would refuse to keep fixing it rather than have to play dad

5. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    the_weeg, please read the rules about profanity. Using asterisks to circumvent the board censor is not allowed.

I have changed the title of your thread.

6. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Looks better as well (y)

7. the_weeg

the_weeg Thread Starter

didnt realize that was that serious but...ok.
    so the thing with the router how exactly do i do that. and is there a way to do it so it just looks like the sites down and not blocked. like not blatantly obvious like a school block. i use his computer to so being babysitter for it is kind of a obligation. thanks for your help

ps i wasnt trying to get around the board censor i was just sensoring it myself

8. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Many routers have "blocking"...you can block by domain or keyword..just log in and type in the domains and keywords you want blocked ....they dont show up in the google search as well...its real easy on a linksys for example.

Another thing one could do is block the application in question with certain security suites...these are usually firewall and Av solution combined into one....after they install it deny it access to to the internet

You could use the hosts file to do a redirect...say direct right back to google with the website the person is getting the app from.

If you use IE there is a real easy way to block using restricted sites....just go to the site.
    Open internet options...go to restricted sites...it will have the current website listed..just block it there.

But in all honesty...you really shouldnt do this to someone else computer...I have done it though as I got tired of working on them myself so I know how you feel..usually to prevent kids though from going to the same stuff....game cheats and infections were very common a couple years ago.

Now I just take longer to fix a pc for friends etc that are constantly messing them up......Then I remove their customizations...{I actually do that first}..to make it easier for me....they get the hint

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972087

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice