1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My Friend said....

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jonathan731, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jonathan731

jonathan731 Thread Starter

yesterday around 12:00 am my friend called me and told me that her PC stopped working. What happened was that after she got past the log in screen for winXP the keyboard and mouse stopped responding. The mouse showed the little clock that it shows when it's loading. Does anybody know about this kind of problem (this is the first time i've seen something like this) Thanks for any help guys

2. Mr. PC Doc

Mr. PC Doc

Does she have enough memory? What OS does she have? You may want to do a repair installation of the OS. Try booting into safe mode. Go to Start>Run. Type msconifg

Go to startup, and uncheck any boxes that shouldn't be starting up (most of them you can uncheck, if you have any questions on a program starting up, post here) Then try to reboot into normal mode. Does it work? If not, boot into safe mode again. Go to Start>All programs>Acessories>System tools>system restore, Restore back to a point where this didn't happen.

3. tripudio

tripudio

Some things to try

Tap F8 during bootup, you will get to an windows advanced startedup menu

Select "Last Known Good configuration" if that doesn't work (Maybe take sometime to load into windows)
    boot back to the startup menu and select "Safemode" press enter

on the next screen press enter again, you should get a screen with muitlidisk partition let it continue to load - should load into windows.

If you mouse and keybaord work in safemode then you knows its a software issue within windows.

Once in safemode - goto your control panel and click on the "system icon"-> Click on the hardware tab-> then device manager.

You will get a list of hardware install - click the + beside mice and other pointing devices and right click on ps/2 conpatible and select "Uninstall"

Click the + beside keyboard and uninstall anything listed

Restart computer and let it boot normally into windows it should automatically installl your mouse and keyboard.

see if that helps you

4. jonathan731

jonathan731 Thread Starter

HEy guys thankz alot for your reponses. I called my friend and she told me something that the she was able to use it this morning. But for the mouse to function she has to log on to her account then nothing happens log off and log into her brother's account and then log back into her account then her mouse worked. She is using windows XP with 128 mb memory the computer is a dell from 2001. She just upgraded to winXP not too long ago from win98. Does anyone know what could possibly be causing this?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219687

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice