1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My friend's computer is engulfed in viruses I'm going to wipe it but I need to save..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PrinceRameses, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PrinceRameses

PrinceRameses Thread Starter

Things first. I can't do anything on it, so I can't save things normally. Can I do it in safe mode?
    And how?

I may put ubuntu on it to reformat it, but if xp needs to be put back on, how do I do that?

Thanks.

2. PrinceRameses

dum te dum.

3. PrinceRameses

:( someone want to help me?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I put this in the hardware forum. You are more apt to get help in this forum. The malware/security forum is for help in removing items ie virus, etc. It is not for helping you copy data.

Next just pull the drive and connect it to the system you are using now. Copy whatever data you want; ie data files, mp3s, etc. Note you do not have to fully install the drive. Just connect the data cable and power OR you can install the drive in an enclosure and connect via usb. If you need detailed info on how to do this, post back and specify what type of drive; either ide or sata.

Once done, reinstall the drive. To install windows, there is a guide in the windows forum.

5. PrinceRameses

Thanks, but I don't really know what you're saying. when you say "pull the drive and connect it to the system you are using now", what do you mean?

And yeah, I saw that guide, but it says I need a disk? I and the friend do not have a disk. :(

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Well if you are going to wipe the drive [remove ALL info] you are going to need an install disk. Your friend's system must have come with either an install disk, a recovery disk, or a recovery partition on the drive. Note if it is the later, you cannot wipe the drive. You will not have the ability to reinstall windows.

Next pull the drive means just that; remove the drive from your friends system. Connect it to yours and copy what you want.

7. mozzacajun

mozzacajun

I don't mean to instult you, but is this your first time recovering data?
    If it is, say so when you post and you will probably get a more descriptive answer of what to do.
    We all started somewhere.

By pulling a drive they are suggesting that you take the drive out from the pc, stick it in another, copy the data you need, then what you would want to do is replace the drive back into the original machine, format and reinstall windows.

If you do not have a second pc, does this pc have a partitioned hard drive? if so, you can move the data onto the 2nd partition, format the first and install windows.
    the data on the 2nd machine can be moved a variety of ways to the other machine.

8. PrinceRameses

Well, I have an ubuntu disk. I guess that will have to suffice.

When you say drive, what do you mean? :( It would help if I had a visual. :(

9. PrinceRameses

I've recovered a machine before, but I didn't have to save anything..

Can I enter safe mode, and get in to 'my documents' and save what I need to on a flash drive?

10. mozzacajun

mozzacajun

you can try, but as per microsofts site, this is what is supposed to load in safe mode, and it may or may not recognize it but it looks as if it might. Please post the results of that here, I have never used a usb stick in safe mode and just don't happen to have one to test right now.

• Floppy disk drives (internal and USB)

• Internal CD-ROM drives (ATA, SCSI)

• External CD-ROM drives (USB)

• Internal DVD-ROM drives (ATA, SCSI)

• External DVD-ROM drives (USB)

• Internal hard disk drives (ATA, SATA, SCSI)

• External hard disk drives (USB)

• Keyboards (USB, PS/2, serial)

• Mice (USB, PS/2, serial)

• VGA display cards (PCI, AGP)

11. padutch

padutch

I am on the slow side at times but shouldn't he kill all the malware and virus before he copies anything to another drive as he might bring a virus or malware with the data he is copying ?
    Dutch

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The only things the poster should be copying are data files, doc, etc. Virus, spyware, etc are generally in some type of .exe type file. While it is a good idea to scan whatever you copy, I have never had any problems connecting a drive and copying data.

13. PrinceRameses

Wait, so a usb drive might not work in safe mode? But a floppy should?

14. brite750

brite750

something I ve have done is put the drive in the working machine and run AV from the working machine on the virus ridden drive

15. PrinceRameses

Hm.

--

How could I get a new xp disk? would I have to buy one for $100?

And If someone gave me one to barrow, how could I make a copy of it?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699754

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice