1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

my friends dell(told him not to buy it)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by vicrattlehead, Aug 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vicrattlehead

vicrattlehead Thread Starter

well after some time trying to talk a friend out of buying a dell he did anyway cus it's easier for some people who just don't have the money to build one or to buy one cash.

here is the issue i am having

he is a new computer user and i could tell right away software is everywhere and nothing is where it should be. after spending 5-6 hours backing up everything he wanted to keep. I then wanted to formate the drive and re-install windows xp pro sp2. the problem i am having is that when it get to the point of the install(right at the start)(keep in mind this is a bootable copy of xp pro and can be installed as an upgrade or a re-install with full partition removal)now when it says "windows is now starting" it then gives me a black screen(which usually happens) then it gives me a blue screen with a hard drive error saying that i should run checkdesc(chkdsk /F) or check for viruses i then follow afew though with doing some of my own "testing" thought knowledge

1. i did a disc clean (6meg of crap took about 35mins)
    2. ran defrag (another 45mins)
    3 ran virus scanner (30mins)(kaspersky 6.0)
    4. did checkdisc

after all this it still give me the same error i did notice tho it does work when i just set the bootup for the cd rom but then of course it doesn't find the hard drive. i then decide to try to get it to 1. boot from the cd rom first and then the 2. hard drive but for some reason in the bios will not let it be changed it auto changes it back to 1. hard drive then 2. cd rom. i have now kinda given up on the P.O.S i really can't think of doing anything else i could just do a upgrade but don't see what good it will do since everything needs to be wiped out. i don't know if dell has a build in detection to make sure you are using there software. i could do i a dos style formate but i am scared that it will still give me the blue screen then i will not be able to do anything with it.

please give me some help

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

He either has a partition based recovery option or he has or can get the original OEM XP CD and driver and application disks from Dell.

One of those methods should be used -- not some "copy" of XP pro, even if legit, which it probably isn't if it has been used on another system.

And if Windows is bootable -- why is all this really necessary? If there are specific errors to resolve -- deal with those, it might be a lot easier than clean installing -- which is going to leave him with a lot less than came with the Dell, unless he has all the software disks for the installed programs.

3. vicrattlehead

yes he has all the dell software disc's but he wanted a new clean install to make the computer run smoother and to remove all the random junk that was installed or just place here and there since his wife uses it aswell as his childeren and they each have a login but he wanted to change it all to 1 login but i am assuming what i thought is correct that you actually have to use the "windows recovery cd" or whatever it is that dell gives you to reinstall the os. this is a pissoff thought if someone ever wanted to upgrade the os or change it they would have to buy it from dell. makes me glad i built my own.

4. pugmug

pugmug Banned

You seem to have not worked on a Dell before,is this statement correct ? Also what model Dell is it ?

5. vicrattlehead

dell dimension 9150
    and no i have never worked on a dell before thus the reason i am lost on the install/hard drive issue

6. pugmug

pugmug Banned

7. vicrattlehead

i will take a look and see what i can figure out
    thanks for the help if it comes down to it i will just use his actual dell disc's to do it i can get them tomorrow

8. pugmug

pugmug Banned

K,and good for you as it will teach you how to work on OEM computers yourself.

9. vicrattlehead

just an added note come to think of it i did once have an oem computer a HP which no longer has any of the original parts or os in it my parents now have it the video card / hd /ram has been changed along with the cd-rom it does still have the motherboard and cpu but it was no problem changing and formatting it. it is an older computer tho a 700mhz so it probley isn't anywhere near as advanced to the new oem styles

10. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

11. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Are you trying to install the corporate version of Windows XP Pro? It sounds like you are trying to install it over the version that is already on the computer. This is not good practice. I suggest getting the recovery software for the Dell and use it and if you have to order it from Dell then you can do a data backup of all of the important data on thew computer, just the data not the programs.

From what you described in your first post it sounds like you are using the corporate version of Windows which is illegal and you will have a lot of trouble getting the Windows Updates.

12. win2kpro

win2kpro

Whether it be Dell, HP, Gateway, Compaq, eMachines, etc. you cannot use an OEM or retail disk to reinstall the operating system when a System Builder Version was used as the original installation.

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The problem I'm seeing here is that the disk will not even boot to the stage where he could choose between setup and the "recovery console". This is an issue with the disk itself I think.

But I don't recommend what he is doing. Use the Dell recovery partition if present, or get the Dell disks -- that was a 10 buck option on purchase and still is.

Go to Dell's site, enter the service tag, and look at their directions for system recovery. It should also be in the manual.

The bloatware link may be of interest. But I have two Dell systems and it was easy just to disable what I didn't want loading using msconfig -- and delete it later if it proved truly useless.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/491347

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice