1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My Gateway stuck on Gateway logo

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DiamondDebi, Jun 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DiamondDebi

DiamondDebi Thread Starter

My gateway laptop is stuck on Gateway logo screen.. the only menu I can get into is Utility e setup.. after talking to Gateway third party support.. they told me my software license expired.. my laptop came with windows 8 and I got Windows 10 free upgrade.. my question is ... what do I need to do I'm lost...
    Do I need to purchase Windows 10 software or do I just need a new license... with my laptop being stuck on the gateway screen .. help please.. thank you

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Who ever you talked to was a bogus company. Your Windows license doesn't expire.
    If you allowed this "company" to remotely access your computer, who knows what was done.

Do you have any restore/recovery disks? Any images? Access to another computer?

3. DiamondDebi

Yes I called Gateway. when you call they ask for your SNID and since my warranty on my laptop is expired they put me over to a third party .. they said they could see my laptop and see that my software expired... they told me they could repair it for a one time fee of $99 or 3 yr for 299.00 well needless to say i did not give them a dime ..well I don't know so I assumed being the windows 10 was a free upgrade..
    I do not have any recovery disks... I bought a disk off eBay .. a "system recovery toolkit" but when I insert it, it does nothing .. the only screen I get is stuck on Gateway... my swirl that was under gateway is gone too... and I can get into the setup utility ... when I do F10. I get an error screen do insert USB or recovery disks from manufacturer, which I don't have... I'm at a loss

4. DiamondDebi

but my laptop came with Windows 8.. and I just got a free upgrade for Windows 10 so could that free upgrade expire?

5. DiamondDebi

The closest access to another computer for me is my phone or smart tv

6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    No, Windows 10 doesn't expire; neither do any other versions of Windows.

Without access to another working computer, there isn't much you can do.

Manufacturers haven't included any sort of disks for about 10 years or more.
    When I bought my eMachine (same company as Gateway), I made my own disks.

If you look here
    http://www.gateway.com/gw/en/US/content/sx-series-features/sx-series
    Gateway includes a way to make your own disks. Scroll all the way to the bottom under Easy Recovery.

I suspect the disks you purchased don't work for your specific model.

7. DiamondDebi

Ok my laptop is the NE 722 series.. sorry I'm just so lost.. why would that third party support through gateway tell me that unreal.. He said "oh yes I'm in your laptop your software license expired"
    so I need recovery disks? I do have an older desktop with windows 7

8. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Because it is a scam. They want to separate you from your money.
    We get phone calls from scammers telling us 3 different lies
    a) Your Windows license is expired
    b) Your computer is infected
    c) You paid $299 for protection, press (something on the phone) to get your money back.

https://www.denverpost.com/2016/09/19/microsoft-windows-license-expired/

Note the date on that article, 2016. Scammers have been trying that for years and get people to believe it and pay money so they just keep running the scam.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateway,_Inc.
    Note that Gateway was acquired by Acer in 2007.
    Your support is through Acer.

9. DiamondDebi

Thank you so much for all your info and help so far... so I was so mislead and of course I'd never give them a dime... so here my computer still sits stuck... so probably now a few dumb questions..
    being I got a free upgrade go Microsoft 10 .. that would not expire? I don't recall any license given to me?
    If I have a HP desktop is there a way to download recovery disks for my Gateway NE series laptop?

10. DiamondDebi

Would my laptop be stuck on gateway screen cause of the operating system ... as I stated I never bought a license I hsd Windows 8 which came on the laptop... was offered the windows 10 update, I never bought license

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    ""oh yes I'm in your laptop your software license expired"" Well you can't get in your computer, this bozo can't. I am shocked to see that Acer/Gateway would send you to a company that has something say this.. unless it's someone with broken english that didn't explain what they are doing (i.e. in your computer means looking at your warranty details..)

When Windows 10 came out, it was offered as a free upgrade. Now all new computers will come with Windows 10.

It is possible that your computer is not seeing the operating system, but you would normally get an error with that... is there an option to go to a boot menu (usually F8 tapped repeatedly on boot up)

12. DiamondDebi

when I do the F8.. I get .. "PC needs repair.. error code 0x0000225... you'll need go use the recovery tools on your installation media, (like a disc or USB) WHICH I DON'T HAVE EITHER....
    if you don't have any contact your PC manufacturer" ... which I did, Gateway, who claims they sent me to third party support, beinv my laptop us out if warranty... the third party asked for my SNID then that's when he said my software expired.....

13. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    OK, that error indicates that the most likely cause is that the computer cannot find the OS.

Does your Windows 7 machine have internet access?

14. DiamondDebi

Wohoo finally getting a ride to go down as to what's wring with it .....Besides my laptop, I have a Compaq Presario windows desktop.. yes it gets internet cause its what I used before I got my laptop ...

Also probably dumb question . when I got the free windows 10 upgrade do I need to purchase a license...

15. DiamondDebi

The desktop also has a writeable CD drive and usb

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229277

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice