1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My Gateway stuck on Gateway logo

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DiamondDebi, Jun 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I am not sure how Microsoft gave the license.... did you have to create a Microsoft Account when it was upgraded?

2. DiamondDebi

DiamondDebi Thread Starter

I believe I did or I had one.....

on my attached boot order photo, my CD drive is #1 correct?

Attached Files:

3. DiamondDebi

The reason I ask I bought some repair disk off eBay and can't even access that disk...

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    You are correct, the #1 slot is your CD/DVD Drive. The disc may not be a bootable disc so the computer doesn't see it. Usually #4 is in the #1 slot...

I think your license for windows 10 is tied to your microsoft account so you shouldn't have lost that.

On your Windows 7 machine you should be able to make a bootable USB drive with Windows 10 and should be able to use that for the recovery options:
    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-...-media-uefi-support#create_windows10_uefi_mct

5. DiamondDebi

ok great does it have to be a usb.. can I make a cd-r? and thank you so much

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
  7. DiamondDebi

Thank you so much so just burn the DVD insert in my laptop and it will come up ti install? will update .
    one more question sorry just not up on all . but I havyd usb's I store data on... are those same ad bootable

8. DiamondDebi

also the disk I said I bought which is suppose to repair etc is a dvd... I showed you the boot order all I have to do is put in the DVD and it should work correct?

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    you may have to press a key to start it.. but since it came from ebay I can't say for sure.

As to the USB question, the USB will have to be set up to be bootable so if you don't back up the data on the USB thumb drive, then the Media Creation process will erase it.

If you have a blank USB one, use that instead. Preferably 8GB or more.

10. DiamondDebi

ok will update thank you

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Worse case scenario is to take your machine to a reputable computer repair store to help you back up your data from the drive and have them wipe it clean with a new Windows 10 image.

12. DiamondDebi

What most charge I'd buy a new laptop... hope this works...will update thank you

13. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Just wondering why when I asked in post # 2 if you had access to another computer, you answered
    and you made no mention of a Windows 7 laptop?

14. DiamondDebi

I think somehow the post got mixed up ...I only have the one laptop that is stuck... I do have my android phone and smart TV then I remembered I have the desktop, not laptop... and I'm not sure what windows its been quite some time since I used it... buy I'll hook it up and hope I can copy that OS software and fix my laptop

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229277

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice