1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My GeForce 4 flickers and garbles game images. Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mafiasco, Apr 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mafiasco

Mafiasco Thread Starter

My first post so please bear with me.
    (Note: this is also posted on the Games forum as I was unsure where to put it).

::The Problem::

My nVidia GeForce (64 mb) 420 MX w/TVout
    (my PC is a Dell Dimension 8200, about 3 yrs old)

Warcraft 3, Rise of Nations, and any other game along those lines that I try has serious issues with my graphics card. It flickers and randomly changes plots of land to black, ect.
    For instance, in Warcraft 3, the peons have black squares flickering around them, and the trees will randomly look like they are Undead trees for a few flickers.
    Also, a big fact thats important is that when the computers been on for 5 minutes, this problem doesn't occur. However, when it's been on for 3 hours, it happens instantly even if you restart it.

::What I've Done::

I updated the driver for the card, my DirectX to 9.0b, and troubleshooted it completely in Windows. I reinstalled the drivers, updated bios of my PC and called the Dell tech support line. The Dell guy and I worked for a while, adjusting settings and the hardware acceleration, to no avail. He told me that it was probably not a hardware problem, just a problem with a setting somewhere, but he had no idea what I have set wrong.

::History::
    In October, the moniter that came with the computer caught on fire (no joke). So I went to Best Buy and got a Sony Flatscreen LCD moniter, which is very sweet (its model is SDM-HS73, and it tends to get hot when I don't have a fan running on it).

In January, I got a bootscreen through BootXP and had it on for about 2 weeks before this SAME graphics problem occured. Then I uninstalled the bootscreen and it went away.

Now, in April, it has resurfaced ever since I updated my nVidia drivers to 56.26 (or something like that). Then I updated to 56.72 and the problem didn't go away. And no I did not reinstall my bootscreen.

Thanks for any help you may have! :D

2. Flrman1

Flrman1

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220147

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice