1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My graphic cards keep crashing...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Whirlwind, Mar 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Thread Starter

Hello all,

I have problem with graphic card installation. Make it easy for you masters to help me, following is my system specification:

- Soltek SL-85ERV2 (No LAN) Socket 478 Via P4X400A mobo, supports AGP 4x/8x (Manual in the box dated Aug 2002)
    - 1024MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM
    - Intel P4 2.53GHz w/ 533MHz FSB
    - Firewire card, 56K PCI modem
    - USB 2.0 onboard
    - CD/DVD drive & CDRW drive

The first AGP card went in was the PixelView MVGA-NVG28A GeForce 4 Ti4200 128MB DDR w/ TV Out/Video In - 8x/4x AGP

After hardware installation completed, I start the PC to do BIOS setup, then install windows 98 OS, everything running smoothly (and Fast :D )

When windows 98 up and running, I start to install VIA 4 in 1 driver and all the bits and pieces, problems begin when DRIVER of AGP card installed. When intallation process for AGP driver completed, of course Im asked to restart the PC, the system restart to windows logo screen, running for a wee while, then it switches to the black screen (normally the black screen would stay for about 4-5 seconds then windows appears), a little cursor on the top left of the screen blinking for about 10 secs then a loud, continuous beep burstin' out. I restart windows and it goes to SafeMode, in Safe Mode I removed the AGP driver then restart, then install the drive again, same thing happened, past the Windows logo screen, switched to black screen, sit there for a while (about 10 secs) then the loud, continuous beep comes on.
    I repeat the procedure of remove driver (thru SafeMode) then install again about 7 times, about one or twice I got windows protection error.
    I took out the card and throw in my existing Matrox AGP 4x 32MB DDR and it works fine.
    I returned the card back to the supplier, they said they will test it to see if the card is faulty or not, if faulty then they will give me a replacement.
    One week later, the supplier gave me a replacement without saying whether the PixelView is faulty or not but I was happy because the replacement is a Leadtek WinFast A280 LE TD - GeForce4 Ti 4200 GPU w/ AGP 8X 128MB DDR
    While I wait for the supplier, my mate bought my motherboard 'coz he needed urgently, then I went to order another one, same motherboard except this one has LAN and Manual in the box dated February 2003, also supports HT Technology.
    To my disappoinment, the same problem persist after the driver is installed, with this card, it either gets to Windows logo screen then freeze (once or twice) or produces a loud, continuous beeping noise and the logo screen became pixelated with lots of different colour :(

I am so frustrating now, I haven't tried to throw in my matrox AGP yet to do the test like the first one.

What do you think? This card is another one bites the dust or is it something else?

Thank you for spending time reading all this and thank you for helping me to find a solution

2. pronute

pronute

this is from your mainboard's FAQ page

After I install VIA 4 in 1 Driver V. 4.41 in 98SE, why does my AGP card function in AGP 1X mode?

There is one way to solve this problem. When you are trying to install Via 4 in 1 Driver V. 4.41, you'll see the "Via-GART AGP Driver 4.30" screen. Please select "( ) install Via AGP VxD In Turbo mode", complete the following installation steps, and then restart

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/125006

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice