1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My graphics card keeps multiplying itself in Device Manager, had 50 at one point!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by j2809, May 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. j2809

j2809 Thread Starter

I have an NVIDIA GeForce4 MX440 AGP in my machine, and today I got a hold of a free monitor.

Tested it, worked fine. Then I thought why not have 2 monitors?

I grabbed my old nVidia GeForce 2 MX400 PCI, whacked it in alongside the GF4, wired up the new monitor and had a go.

First boot - Monitor 1 had the usual DOS screen followed by loading Windows. Monitor 2 was blank. Installed the graphics drivers, and rebooted. No problems.

Second boot - Monitor 1 loaded everything up, and Monitor 2 was still blank.
    When it got into Windows, Found New Hardware baloons kept popping up, telling me it found a new Video Adapter (VGA Compatible) then that it was in fact a GF2 MX 400, then a few seconds later it would tell me it found another.

I went into Device Manager and there were literally 50 or so of these graphics cards with yellow + black exclamation marks next to them.

Any way to solve this?

All help is mucho mucho appreciated, thankyouu!
    CPU : AMD Athlon 1.3ghz

I'm well aware that it's a crap setup, but it plays Counter Strike, thass all I need

2. usualsuspect

usualsuspect

Hi and welcome,

50??? Bizarre!
    What are you trying to achieve with the second monitor? It sounds like you are wanting to use it as a desktop extension?

3. j2809

j2809 Thread Starter

Hehe yeah I wanted to see if I could have a webpage on one and a game / movie playing on the other =]

Not too bothered if there's no way round it, just I'm greedy + know full well I'll not be able to read sites + watch a movie at the same time :p I can't even do that pat your head + rub your belly thing.. besides the point :p

4. usualsuspect

usualsuspect

Nah sorry buddy, you need dual head card with proper drivers to achieve that in a sensible fashion.

5. j2809

j2809 Thread Starter

ah right =] well, gf bugged me to get rid of the monitor anyway + put back her tv lol she wants to watch Big Brother tomorrow *rolls eyes*

cheers for the heads up,

p.s Fight Club rocks :p

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Try uninstalling ALL of them, including the working one. Then reboot and re-install one.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/578655

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice