1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My Graphics Card went *poot*

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Billy36, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Billy36

Billy36 Thread Starter

So I just got a new laptop a few days ago, and everything was going great. I could run every single game with totally maxed out settings. But now, mid-game, everything got unbearably laggy, and I had to lower all the settings, but it even still lags then, but not as bad. I just don't understand how it could run beautifully, then all of the sudden, well...not. The graphics card is: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M, 1536 Mb. Need other specs let me know. Also, the games that where being played where: Aion and City of Heroes. Both now run very laggy. Please help!

2. daz1

daz1 Banned

faulty card nvvidia have had a LOT of trouble with lappy graphics , clearly getting hot for many reasons like its falling apart !!

suggest return it

3. Irukku

Irukku

Well, it stopped working all of a sudden, so I believe it's most likely something running on the background that's consuming your system resources. Have your installed any software recently (specially AV)? check your device manager for your processor usage by anything other than your game.

4. Billy36

Billy36 Thread Starter

Whats an AV? Sorry, I'm not very technology gifted lol.

5. Billy36

Billy36 Thread Starter

Also, everything is still very laggy, so I'm not sure something is running in the background.

6. Irukku

Irukku

AV stands for anti-virus. :)

And, if everything is really laggy something might be running in the background all the time. I didn't expect it to run only when you were in game. :p

7. Billy36

Billy36 Thread Starter

ya i downloaded one. no viruses. uuggghhh i didnt wanna need to get this repaired, but i just dont see how it can go from incredible to mediocre in 5 days of owning it!!....ugh.

8. boredcollegekid

boredcollegekid

Might be a heating issue or background processes as previously stated. Have you tried disabling some of these through msconfig?
    Not to be a joykill but I don't personally promote gameplay on laptops, just because of this reason. If the graphics card is working hard to display some nice graphics in a small enclosed space it'll get really hot and more than likely just burn out.
    At least from personal experience, I could be wrong though.

9. Billy36

Billy36 Thread Starter

I called dell for the third time, and FIXED IT!!!! it was this sonuvabitch button called Stealth Mode xD

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972305

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice