1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My hard drive goes "clunk""

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kirlar, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kirlar

kirlar Thread Starter

Using a Compaq Presario about 5-7 years old. Just the other day the hard drive started clunking and we are getting mesages that the c drive is unaccessible. The boss is telling me to reformat at which point and time I tell him the hard drive is shot and it's time to buy a new hard drive or computer. Is my hard drive really dead?

2. SacsTC

SacsTC

Sounds like it. You can try fdisk and see if it reports a hard drive or not. Or go into the bios and see if there is a hard drive listed.

3. Annorax

Annorax

It might be dead. If the reformat doesn't work, it might be time to get a new one.

4. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

If it is clunking and you are getting messeges about the drive being unavailable the drive is shot. Even if you managed to get it formatted which I doubt you are still going to have a messed up hard drive. Time to replace it IMO.

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome.

Tell your boss to open his wallet.

6. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

AcaCandy, always the exact words for the situation. How are you? :)

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hey Scott, I'm great, getting ready to call it a day online :D

8. xgerryx

xgerryx

You can't do that, this place would run riot in no time with no one to tell em off

9. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I have been in and out all day. I don't know when I'll quit for the day. Take care.(y)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269105

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice