My hard drive goes "clunk""

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kirlar

Using a Compaq Presario about 5-7 years old. Just the other day the hard drive started clunking and we are getting mesages that the c drive is unaccessible. The boss is telling me to reformat at which point and time I tell him the hard drive is shot and it's time to buy a new hard drive or computer. Is my hard drive really dead?

Sounds like it. You can try fdisk and see if it reports a hard drive or not. Or go into the bios and see if there is a hard drive listed.

It might be dead. If the reformat doesn't work, it might be time to get a new one.

If it is clunking and you are getting messeges about the drive being unavailable the drive is shot. Even if you managed to get it formatted which I doubt you are still going to have a messed up hard drive. Time to replace it IMO.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi and welcome.

Tell your boss to open his wallet.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hey Scott, I'm great, getting ready to call it a day online :D

AcaCandy said:
I'm great, getting ready to call it a day online :D
You can't do that, this place would run riot in no time with no one to tell em off

I have been in and out all day. I don't know when I'll quit for the day. Take care.(y)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online