My hard drive is failing and I have no idea what to do

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Shiiba3000

So a few days ago I noticed my pc was becoming extremely slow and freezing a lot, I assumed it was a virus and found nothing. Eventually the computer started to struggle even starting and getting onto the desktop. after doing some browsing I think it’s a drive failure, the pc now struggles to boot and often sits on a black screen. I have a second drive which was recently added but has no boot files or windows files. Can anyone help me on what to do next? Really out of my league here.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
We know nothing about your computer, so please do the following in it:
Download and save the TSG System Information Utility (SysInfo.exe) file.
After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.
Information about your computer will appear.
Return here, then copy-and-paste its entire text in your reply.

I have doubts the hard drive is failing.
I'm guessing the slowness and freezing is due to multiple issues which can probably be solved by doing a clean re-install of its operating system and getting a fresh start.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Shiiba3000

I can’t get onto the computer it doesn’t get past booting, how am I supposed to do that?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
What's the brand name and model name and model number and serial number of your computer?
What's the exact Windows version it's running?

Shiiba3000

•Dell Vostro 260
•I’m not exactly sure where the serial number is on this thing Nor the model number
•It’s the most recent update of windows 10 if I’m not wrong.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If that computer is a Dell Vostro 260 Desktop PC, it will have a 7-character "service tag/serial" number on it.
Please advise us what the exact number on it is.
I'm guessing it's 7 - 8 years old and originally came with Windows 7.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
According to that service tag number, you have THIS Dell Vostro 260 Desktop PC.
According to its warranty section, it was purchased in May 2012 in the U.K..
Its system configuration section should list the hardware(processor, RAM, hard drive, power supply, etc.) and Windows version that came in it, but for some reason it doesn't.

What is the exact Windows version that originally came in it?
What is the exact Windows 10 version and build that's currently running in it?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Shiiba3000

Originally it says on the top “windows 7 Pro OA”
And for the current version it’s the latest version of windows 10 I cannot check though.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If it originally came with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, I'm going to assume you upgraded it to Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
The most current version and build is Version 1909 Build 18363.

Have you at any time during the past 7-1/2 years of ownership removed the side panel of that Dell and blown out all the dust and debris that's accumulated inside it?
A large accumulation of dust and debris can cause overheating and slowness and freezing.

If you decide to replace the hard drive and do a clean re-install of Windows 10 in that Dell, make sure to disconnect all extra internal/external hard drives before you start.

It's after 10:00 P.M. here, so I'm shutting down for the night.
I'll check back here in the morning.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Gr3iz

Mark
You don't need to purchase your replacement drive from Dell, if you do decide to pursue that. You may possibly be able to clone your existing drive onto a new drive, if not, you can load Win10 from scratch.
As frank indicated, remove (or at least disconnect) the existing drive and install it on the new drive. Of course, you will need a working PC to create the flash drive or DVD used to install Win10.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online