My Hard drive isn't working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Napstablook

Hello
I have a somewhat new HDD installed on my laptop it was running fine for a year , until for some reason It malfunctioned now whenever I boot my laptop a blackscreen shows with a blinking minus sign , when I enter the BIOS the HDD doesn't appear at all.
I tired to use windows rescue center from a bootable usb and when I used the diskpart command from cmd it shows that my HDD has 0 bytes I can't do anything with it.
When I checked the HDD hardware it was completely fine

managed

Allan
When I checked the HDD hardware it was completely fine
How did you check it ?

Try re-seating the drive if you can.

What make and model laptop is it ?

managed

Allan
Try disconnecting the drive then reconnecting it if possible, that can fix a poor connection sometimes.

I can't find anything about a Samsung e450 laptop online, is that the full and correct name ?

Napstablook

Try disconnecting the drive then reconnecting it if possible, that can fix a poor connection sometimes.

I can't find anything about a Samsung e450 laptop online, is that the full and correct name ?
Under the laptop is written Samsung Notebook NP300E5Z

managed

Allan
Thanks, I found some stuff for that model online.

If re-seating the hard drive doesn't help I think you will need a new hard drive.

What version of Windows is on it, 7,8 or 10 ?

Napstablook

Do you have the Windows 7 key, it should be on a sticker under the laptop or possibly under the battery if it can be easily removed ?

If you do need a new hard drive you should be able to install Windows 10 and activate it with the 7 key.
You can download 10 from here and make a Usb stick or DVD to install it with :-
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/sof...s10?d2784474-fdb0-4e9d-9e47-5e88c0e053ec=True
Can't I repair this one ? The error is not in the hardware and HDDs are somewhat expansive in where I live

managed

Allan
You can test the hard drive with Seagate's Seatools Bootable from here :- https://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/downloads/seatools/

It's the first download, unzip it into a folder. The ReadMeFirst... file explains how to use it, basically you need a Usb stick, the download will set it up then you have to boot to it and run the tests. Try the short test first and if it passes do the long test.
If the drive passes both short and long tests it is probably fine and the problem is elsewhere.

Napstablook

You can test the hard drive with Seagate's Seatools Bootable from here :- https://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/downloads/seatools/

It's the first download, unzip it into a folder. The ReadMeFirst... file explains how to use it, basically you need a Usb stick, the download will set it up then you have to boot to it and run the tests. Try the short test first and if it passes do the long test.
If the drive passes both short and long tests it is probably fine and the problem is elsewhere.
I didn't try it yet but what if this tool doesn't detect my HDD like the others ?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online