1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My hard drive just growled at me!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kerri Ann, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

ok, ive heard of hard drives making that grinding noise, and for awhile now, my hard drive has made a noise that kinda sounds like a very little car flooding it's engine. but then yesterday, i was looking at system information, and while it was refreshing, it made a very loud scary noise. i always thought that the noise it made before was that grinding i'd heard about, so what was the noise i heard yesterday?

2. zeddy

zeddy

it certainly sounds like its time to make a backup of anything important on the drive!

3. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

oh great, now your scaring me

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

We intend to scare you, especially if you haven't backed up your data! There are only two kinds of computer users, those that have lost data, and those that are going to. :)

5. Aaron.W

Aaron.W

That's a platter bearing loosening up from normal wear. It'll slowly get worse so you have a little time to get it replaced.

It's better than having the drive die suddenly and permanently. :D

6. KeithKman

KeithKman

Take the PC to a local PC store.

7. raybro

raybro

Hi Kerri Ann... Is this the new system you just put together? If so, perhaps your HDD is still under warranty. Check it out.

BTW... I suggest you run a hard drive diagnostic on it. I use Maxtor's PowerMax. It's free and you can get it here:

http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm

Be sure to read the instructions on the site. :cool:

8. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

well, actually no its not the one i put together, its the one i use most often. thanx for the link though! i'll check it out.

oh yeah, and just so everyone else knows, i back up my data pretty regularly. i just don't have a backup cash stash if something happens to the hdd...

9. compilerxp

compilerxp

We're past IF.... Start saving about $60 for even a 40GB replacement... Eventually, it will just kill itself and not spin again.

Ah... I remember the first time I ever heard ACTUAL heads scrating itself accross the platters... like finger nails on a chalk board. :(

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165754

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice