My hard drive just growled at me!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kerri Ann

ok, ive heard of hard drives making that grinding noise, and for awhile now, my hard drive has made a noise that kinda sounds like a very little car flooding it's engine. but then yesterday, i was looking at system information, and while it was refreshing, it made a very loud scary noise. i always thought that the noise it made before was that grinding i'd heard about, so what was the noise i heard yesterday?

it certainly sounds like its time to make a backup of anything important on the drive!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
We intend to scare you, especially if you haven't backed up your data! There are only two kinds of computer users, those that have lost data, and those that are going to. :)

That's a platter bearing loosening up from normal wear. It'll slowly get worse so you have a little time to get it replaced.

It's better than having the drive die suddenly and permanently. :D

Hi Kerri Ann... Is this the new system you just put together? If so, perhaps your HDD is still under warranty. Check it out.

BTW... I suggest you run a hard drive diagnostic on it. I use Maxtor's PowerMax. It's free and you can get it here:

http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm

Be sure to read the instructions on the site. :cool:

Kerri Ann

well, actually no its not the one i put together, its the one i use most often. thanx for the link though! i'll check it out.

oh yeah, and just so everyone else knows, i back up my data pretty regularly. i just don't have a backup cash stash if something happens to the hdd...

We're past IF.... Start saving about $60 for even a 40GB replacement... Eventually, it will just kill itself and not spin again.

Ah... I remember the first time I ever heard ACTUAL heads scrating itself accross the platters... like finger nails on a chalk board. :(

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online