Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My Hardrive

2K views 27 replies 3 participants last post by  managed 
#1 ·
Hello. I am hoping you can help me. I recently upgraded my HD to a SSD. I cloned the HD to the SSD and then replaced the drive in my system. Everything seemed to work fined for about 2 days but for some reason I can no longer access my 10TB backup drive.

After I complete the update to the SSD I moved the older hard drive into my enclosure with my 10TB drive. Everything seemed fine and I assumed since my SSD was labeled the boot drive in my bios it would have priority.

Now however, when I turn on my computer both drive are seen but I cannot open either drive. It looks like currupted data could be causing the issue but it is happening on both drives at the same time so I don’t think this is the issue.

I am able to see my data if I use a recovery tool but with a 10TB drive it would be difficult to migrate this to another dive without spending over 200 dollars for a drive with the same size. Also, the data will not be organized the same way I had it on the initial drive.

To resolve the issue I tried the following:

-Went into command prompt to see if windows could repair the drive (didn’t work)

-Checked device manager to see if drive was formatted but all of the drives look correct

-checked the drive for hardware errors. Both drive boot it just seems I cannot access the data

Attached are SS of of the errors I am seeing and specs for my computer. Thank you in advance for even taking time to provide feedback on this issue. Any help you would be able to provide would really be appreciated.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 19042, Installed 20200702130548.000000-300

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3, CPU Count: 8

Total Physical RAM: 32 GB

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060

Hard Drives: C: 1861 GB (618 GB Free); D: 2794 GB (3 GB Free); E: 698 GB (153 GB Free); F: 372 GB (304 GB Free); G: 0 GB (0 GB Free); W: 1397 GB (3 GB Free);

Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. G1.Sniper Z97, ver x.x, s/n To be filled by O.E.M.

System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n To be filled by O.E.M.

Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Noid44
I cloned the HD to the SSD
What program did you use to do this?

I moved the older hard drive into my enclosure with my 10TB drive
By enclosure do you mean computer or external enclosure ?
If you mean computer
Power down computer and unplug old hard drive
Power backup can you access 10TB now ?

Cheers
PeterOz

#3 ·
Hello, Thank you again for your help! To clone the drive I used "AOMEI Backupper" I have aYottamaster exclosure that has two slots for hard drive support here is a link to the model:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XKVVBGQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The 10Tb HD and the old hard drive are both now in the enclosure. I tried changing the USB cable , updating my windows system and powering down the computer and then turning on the external hard drive enclosure. I also tried powering up the computer with the enclosure turned on.

I can see all of the hardrives in the bios but still get the errors shown in the screenshots.

In the enclosure is the HD that I used to clone the SSD. As an extra test I also removed the HD with the previous OS from the enclosure to see if this was causing a booting issue or somehow confusing the system but no luck.

Thank you again!

#4 ·
Did you try the SSD to access the external enclosure with the 10TB before adding the win 10 hdd.

Do you have access to another computer to plug the external enclosure into to test.
If not are you able to make a Linux boot usb. Link here Ubuntu Live usb
Boot from usb - DO NOT INSTALL and see if you can access 10TB

#6 ·
I was able to connect the external drive with the 2 drives included to my computer in the living room and was seeing a similar error. It odd the only thing I've done new was upgrade my main C drive to an SSD. I loaded a game and was also getting a "corrupt data"notification.

I saw this when loading the game last night but it seemed to correct itself once I reinstalled the game. Should I consider removing the SSD and reinstalling my HDD to see if that works? Prior to installing the SSD I had to convert it to a format to run on Windows OS.

I don't think i a hardware issue as it is only happening to the 2 drives I have in my enclosure and it seems to be happing at the exact same time.

Thanks again!

#8 ·
I don't think i a hardware issue as it is only happening to the 2 drives I have in my enclosure and it seems to be happing at the exact same time.
Did you have the enclosure powered off and unplugged from computer when you installed windows HDD
I was able to connect the external drive with the 2 drives included to my computer in the living room and was seeing a similar error
Not good
Depends what happens when you put HDD back in and boot. If no good we may have to download
the ubuntu live usb or Testdisk - I will give link after we know what happens.

#9 ·
Thaenk you! I will try this today after work. The SDD drive I bought is a standard 2TB SSD I belive it is a standard SSSD drive here is a link to the drive specs below:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0786QNSBD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I try swapping out the SSD and putting back in the original drive. I think the corrupt file error in my games might be a clue that something is out of wack. It just odd, I dont think my 10TB drive has a hardware issue it only about a month old (God I hope not) it also weird that both the 10TB drive and the old HD I also put in the enclosure suddenly have the same error.

I will circle back once I have made the swap and provide updates.

#11 ·
Hello. I am working on this now. It's odd I put back in the HDD and I am running into automatic repair issue. seems the original drive does not want to boot. I also tried a system restore but it starting to look as if I will need to use a USB of windows in order to get the drive back up and running. Before I do this I will try putting the 10TB drive directly into the PC and boot off the SDD drive again. I'll send an update ASAP. It really challenging it seems like both the 10Tb and the original HD are having issue.

#13 ·
HAHAHA and I thought my last root canal was brutal! lol. I swapped in the original hard drive and put in the 10TB drive but the system would not boot so I tried swapping back in the SSD with the 10Tb hard still in the computer. at first the 10Tb drive would not power up I tried switching out the data cables and the system would not boot.

So I went back in removed the cables and resecured them. The computer started up but booted into a system repair mode and is currently fixing the drives. I'm not sure if the SSD is reading as the "C" drive but the current "fixing" operation is working on the "H" drive. I'm hoping the "H" drive is the 10TB drive and once this is done the system boot up normally. I won't know for sure until the "fixing" stage is done. I'm hoping this does not format my drive.

Just for my sanity the system would not format the drive automatically unless this was an option that was selected right? Do you know if formatting a drive is done automatically?

I'll circle back once the fixing phase is all set.

#14 ·
Your Fixing phase SHOULD be chkdsk. it should not format the drive - Never seen it happen.
Format is something you have to choose. Does NOT however mean the drive is not corrupt.
Fingers crossed for you 🤞

#15 ·
Thank you so much again for you help! just wanted to send over an update. Per your feedback the fixing didn't format anything it actually fixed the issue on my old HDD and I was able to boot off of it once I removed the SSD, which is a big improvement as the drive earlier was showing up in my computer but was unreadable.

I tried to run the 10TB drive directly in my computer but no luck, in some instances my computer showed the drive but wanted me to format or in other instances the drive would not show up at all. I then removed the 10TB storage drive and put in my old HHD with the SSD, but now the old HHD is not showing up at all where previously it would show up with my other drives even though it was not the boot drive.

I've now went ahead and swapped back in my SSD, but I'm wondering if I will still get corrupt data errors like I did when I booted up "Phoenix Point."

Since my old HDD drive is working I decided to test the enclosure. I took the 10Tb drive out and put it to the side. And put in my Old HDD and everything is booting up fine. It looks like the problem is related to the 10TB dive. I have a sinking feeling I was sent a refurbished drive instead of new one or he UPS guys played soccer with it in transit.

I'm sort of at a loss in terms of next steps, the most obvious culprit would be that the 10TB drive is just bad even if it new. But I have a feeling if I format it it would show in my computer and work normally. I think my only option is to find another 10Tb drive and run some data recovery software so I can transfer the data.

If you happen to have any other suggestions I would really appreciate it.

And thank you again for your help!!

#16 ·
When you clone a drive you can end up with 2 drives having the same ID which can cause issues.
Then it is a matter of making them different.

Since my old HDD drive is working I decided to test the enclosure. I took the 10Tb drive out and put it to the side. And put in my Old HDD and everything is booting up fine
Have you put the 10TB in the same bay as the original HDD in the enclosure to test it is the drive and not just 1 bay in the enclosure (make sense?):unsure: I hope you understand what I mean.

10TB drive is just bad even if it new
In my opinion only that is the problem with large drives, The larger the drive the more data you loose.
All drives die - Fact
I'm sort of at a loss in terms of next steps
2 options
1) put 10TB back into computer and if it sees it we force fskdsk to run on it and see if it can repair it.
2) I will ask Managed(staff member) to look at this post.
He uses a program for getting data of bad drives.
I have not played with it yet to give advise on the program

I've now went ahead and swapped back in my SSD, but I'm wondering if I will still get corrupt data errors like I did when I booted up "Phoenix Point."
The program Managed uses will also test this I think. If not we can force fskdsk on it after.

#17 ·
Thank you again for your detailed response!

-I put the 10TB drive into an additional slot I had within my tower. Since it does not have an OS installed on it I kept using either my SSD or the original hard drive to boot up. Whe I tested it in the enclosure I swapped between the two enclose bays they both seem to be working.

Is "fskdsk " a Linux program? I'm ashamed to say I am only using windows currently. I will look and see if there are any videos that can show me how to install and run the program.

Thank you so much for your help with this. I would totally be interested in learning what program he is using. I have a program called "Recover my files V5" I think ti takes about a day to sift through the entire drive and andother day to transfer the data. The one thing I have noticed with using this program is all of the files seem to get reorganized and are put into a "lost files" folder.

I love physical media but I think I will have to come to around to using a cloud storage system. Though I dub I can find anything affordable with the size of my dives. Pretty sure transferring it will make my cable company happy. lol

#21 ·
I'll wait until Noid404 posts again before explaining TestDisk (the program PeterOz mentioned).
The drive would have to show in the Bios first though or TestDisk will not see it.

#22 ·
Hey Guys apologies. I am working late today. Once I get home I will put the 10Tb drive back into my system I'll also install the "TestDisk" software. Thank you again for your help guys. Please feel free to share any instructions or settings I should use, I'll definitly apply them.

Thanks again!!!

#23 ·
Assuming the 10TB drive shows up in the Bios :-

You can download TestDisk with this link :- https://www.cgsecurity.org/Download_and_donate.php/testdisk-7.1.win64.zip
( I prefer that 7.1 version, 7.2 is a beta release so it could have bugs).

Unzip the download into a folder then run 'testdisk_win.exe' (no installation required).

When it starts press Enter to Create (Log, default setting)
Select the 10TB drive (using the up/down arrow keys)
press Enter to Proceed (default)
press Enter (to select the partition table type - it should have selected the correct one automatically)
press Enter to Analyse (default)

The screen should now show the partitions on the drive, stop there and post a screenshot of that window please :- https://forums.techguy.org/help/screenshot/

#25 ·
Hey Guys! Thank you again apologies I am just getting home from work another extended work day. I will be able to install this software tomorrow and follow your instructions tomorrow I should have a much shorter day. Just wanted to send an update here and thank you again for your help, I will have an update ASAP.

#26 ·
Hi Guys I hope you having a great end to the week. I was able to run the program but the drive does not seem to show up. Here is a SS of what I am seeing attached.

Rectangle Font Multimedia Parallel Software

Ideally, would this software be able to format the drive so that it is in a usable state? I think I would have to extract the data to a seperate drive once it is able to see the drive within the software. IF this software is strictly for data recover in which I would need to export to another drive. I do have some dis recovery software that seems to be able to see the drive and transfer the data.

Here is a screenshot of the software I have currently installed in terms of what it is seeing on the 10TB drive

Computer Product Rectangle Font Operating system

If I use this software I can recover the data to another drive but sadly it going to require that I purchase another 10TB or larger drive which I can't afford at the moment. Here is also another SS of what I am seeing within "my Computer"

Automotive tire Automotive exterior Font Art Skyscraper

Apologies if I misunderstood anything and thank you again for your help!

#27 ·
Hi Guys! I just wanted to send over an update. I decided to bite the bullet and get a new hard drive. I think it is prob the easiest way to fix the issue since the drive might have a hardware issue. THe good new is that the amazon seller that sold me the original drive has offered me a refund on the drive after I ship it back to them. I'm now in the process of recovering the data and moving it to an new external 14TB drive. I suspect this will happen in the future so I am starting to consider cloud options for the future.

I would just like to thank you for all of your help and patience with me. It great being able to get support during a stressful time. I will also be making a donation to your site. You guys are awesome and whole heartedly thank you again for your help.

All the best!

Dion

#28 ·
Glad you will get a refund Dion. :)

Thanks for donating, much appreciated. (y)

(Looks like you ran PhotoRec not TestDisk, we can still try TestDisk if you wish, see my post #23 for how).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.