1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

my hd wont boot up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by incubus2012, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. incubus2012

incubus2012 Thread Starter

i decided to format it and do a clean install

is there anyway to salvage files off of it??? im gonna have access to another pc with win 98 on it

2. pronute

pronute

Not if you formatted it already, if not connect the two PC's with a cross over Ethernet cable establish a new LAN account, then from the second pc transfer all the files you want to keep to it, then format your hard drive, do a clean install, then transfer the file back. If you have a burner you can also transfer the files to CD and you wont have to mess with the LAN connection.

3. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

Or, you can do a Direct-Cable connection between the two machines using a Parallel to Parallel cable(LTP1 ports).
    I "think" all Windows OS's have the capacity to do this.I have an arrangement like this between two w98 units on my desk,one is used for my scanner (ISA scusi) which the other does not have.Works very well for transfering files between the two and a LOT simpler than setting up a LAN.
    But Bob's right...,if you formatted that drive already...,the files are gone.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168912

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice