1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My Hewlett-Packard Pavilion is dying and I am completely lost

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SylkRode, Jan 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SylkRode

SylkRode Thread Starter

First Name:
    Matthew
    My dear friend, Delta-X10128B is a Hewlett-Packard Pavilion p6614f
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5500 @ 2.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 5119 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 453 GB (127 GB Free); D: 11 GB (1 GB Free); F: 596 GB (151 GB Free);
    Motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION, 2A94
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Enabled and Updated

I've been using this desktop since October 2009. Besides the difficulty finding a compatible power supply to run a GPU, she's been more computer than I could ever need.

Until about a month ago. I got a lot of money this Christmas, so I indulged myself. A friend of my father's used the same basic computer, a p6000 series, and had a spare PSU he was willing to trade for the $120 worth of incompatible units, as well as to install. This was back in April or June. So, with 520 watts finally at my disposal (assuming his PSU is working at full capacity) and a buttload of Christmas money, I got the best GPU I could afford. It worked astonishingly for a while, until my computer started locking up and crashing. The warning signs quickly became clear: brief buzzes over the audio were like the trumpets of Armageddon, portending an imminent blackout. So, I removed the new GPU (and drivers via DDU) and re-installed the old one, which was previously working just fine. But, she continues to crash. I even got my first ever BSOD earlier today. On one occasion it crashed and then wouldn't even load the boot screen until I turned the power strip off and back on. Given the boot system is RUN from the motherboard itself, that would seem to be the problem. I fear I may have nicked the motherboard with my screwdriver when removing the CPU fan to clean the dust out. I also fear I may have damaged the CPU itself after accidentally removing it while cleaning the coolant film attached to the fan (and, before you ask, I did replace the thermal paste). The best thing to be sure is to replace both the motherboard and the CPU. It's also possible the hard drive is dying. All of these — once finances are secured (which is a whole 'nother ball of wax) — should be simple enough to acquire.

But, I have NO FREAKING CLUE what I am looking at or looking for. It's why I wound up with two PSUs I couldn't use. I'm pretty sure I've tracked down the motherboard: IPIEL-LA3 Eureka 3. I've found one or two of those for sale, so I'm pretty confident on that point. Hard drive? I've already replaced that in the past, so no help needed. But that processor? Not sure what to look for. And, if the PSU is a problem, I've wasted a ton of money on two units that weren't right, so I know I can't figure that out.

There's also the question of the cost to install the new hardware. While I'm perfectly comfortable swapping out a GPU or a hard drive, the idea of swapping out the motherboard or CPU has me quite uneasy. This is a lot of money for me right now so I need to plan this out. The motherboard will cost $60. Hard drive, $50-70. PSU? Assuming a compatible unit would run the same as those two incompatible ones, $60. Installation is a big fat question mark. I just figured $100 was a fair price. I tolled it up, and it'd run about $300 if my numbers are right.

Now, the CPU: the only specs listed under "processor upgrade information on the manufacturer's site are as follows:
    • TDP: 95W
    • Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
      • Intel Core 2 Quad (Yorkfield core) series
      • Intel Core 2 Duo (Wolfdale core) Dual Core series
    I have no clue what any of that means. So, I fudged it. I googled "Intel Core 2 Duo Wolfdale Core." The results were surprising. 2.95ghz on newegg for $5. That didn't sound right to anyone in my game's redditchat channel. They figured it was an ancient unit and that I might want to aim for something better. Which is a problem, because I don't know what to look for.

Eventually, it was suggested I might want to look for a used business machine to simply slot my GPU into. They said it would probably run about $150. That would be a nice option, but this yields one simple question: will my PCIE 3 x16 card work in basically anything I'm likely to find out there? I imagine so, given that PCIE 3 will work in PCIE 2 slots, and the new card that is currently sitting in a box in my closet is PCIE 3. I'd rather not get a desktop that isn't compatible, because this card cost me a pretty penny, and I'd rather not just toss it out and buy YET ANOTHER NEW CARD — it would be my fourth. In any case, I want a machine that is an overall improvement over Delta (yes, she has a name, as listed up top: Windows asks for one, afterall).

While I am in a very tough financial spot, I do have a few sources of income besides the pittance of gov't benefits keeping me alive and housed. It's a matter of planning. I need information to plan my best course of action, whether the solution is repair or replace. Honestly,I don't have a preference either way. It 'd be a nice sentimental gesture to rescue the old girl, but a new machine would be a lot less trouble. Just want whatever will leave me in a computer that is running correctly and - if replacement is the route - better than what I have now.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Your problems seems to have started when you put in the new PSU. Put the old one back in and see if the buzzing sound or crashes still continue.

It is hard to nick a cpu unless you really applied force when removing it with the screwdriver. If you had damaged it, I don't think it would even boot up. Anyways, the cpu should lift up easily if you have raised the lever on the side.

3. SylkRode

SylkRode Thread Starter

First Name:
    Matthew
    I don't have the old PSU, the friend of my father's kept it - and, it was the factory unit, so I wouldn't be able to use a GPU at all. Also, the PSU was installed in about April, and my problems started this January, after clumsily cleaning out my computer prior to installing the new GPU. I realize I wasn't terribly clear on the timeline there, so any confusion is on me there.

The worry over the CPU is more concerning re-applying the thermal paste: I got some on the back of it while re-applying and had to wipe it off. This meant putting it down for a while while I retrieved the cleaners and paste - it may have picked up tiny scratches, or possibly passed some residue on to the contacts on the motherboard. I would think the processor would be quite delicate, but I guess I could be wrong. I just don't trust myself to handle such a critical piece of equipment.

I am more worried that I may have nicked the motherboard when the screwdriver slipped while unscrewing the CPU fan. That would comport with that one incident where the BIOS didn't load.

4. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive

Did did the problems start after cleaning the computer but before installing the new GPU or after installing the GPU?

How long did it work for before the problems started?

Are you sure that the drivers for the new GPU were completely uninstalled and the drivers for the old GPU (NVIDIA) were correctly reinstalled?

Is this the same motherboard as PEGATRON CORPORATION, 2A94?

If you boot into safe mode, do you still have the problems of crashing and locking?

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    cpu.JPG

I'm guessing you upgraded the power supply unit(PSU) and graphic card(GPU) in that HP Pavilion p6614f Desktop PC so you can game with it.
    If that's correct, it was an exercise in futility because of its weak processor(CPU).

THIS is the listed motherboard for that desktop model.

I'll leave you with the others.
    Good luck.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  6. SylkRode

SylkRode Thread Starter

First Name:
    Matthew
    I cleaned the computer at the same time I installed the card.

It was about a week and a half before the crashing really started.

It is entirely possible that the old drivers were not properly uninstalled when installing the superior unit. BUT I am reasonably sure all graphic drivers were removed prior to re-installing the card I had replaced in January.

It's the exact board listed on HP'S official spec page, so that's what I searched for.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is possible my problems started well before all this. I realized that my computer has, for a long time, been dropping the graphics feed for quite some time. The monitor will shut off for about a second, then kick back in. I know it is the computer causing this, because one monitor straight up died and was replaced by another, but the blinking continues. Sometimes, when the video blinks, I actually get a hardware connect/disconnect sound from the system. I hadn't thought anything of it, it seemed just a harmless bug, but now that she's gotten to this condition, I am wondering if my problems go back much further than I originally thought.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At this point, however, I have pretty much decided on replacement. I've picked out a refurbished Dell OptiPlex GX380 workstation model that would seem to fit my needs, but it brings me back to the problem of figuring out how to find compatible hardware — most importantly, the power supply. If I am to install a GPU in it, it'll need an upgrade, but I've had significant difficulty finding compatible PSUs in the past, and would rather not start piling up incompatible units in my closet again.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I don't believe there is such a model as a Dell OptiPlex GX380 WorkStation.
    Can you provide us with a webpage link to the refurbished desktop that you're interested in buying?
    Once it's correctly identified and we can locate its support webpage, we should be able to determine what hardware it comes with.
    I've been buying refurbished Dell OptiPlex models for the past 7 - 8 years, and most of them come with a 275W - 305W power supply.

----------------------------------------------------------------

8. SylkRode

SylkRode Thread Starter

First Name:
    Matthew
  9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Capture.JPG

That refurbished Dell OptiPlex GX380 minitower comes with an old and weak dual core processor.
    You really should find one that comes with an Intel Core i5 or Intel Core i7 processor.
    That will allow you to install and use a decent performing graphic card.

10. SylkRode

SylkRode Thread Starter

First Name:
    Matthew
    It would seem to be a better processor than my HP, and I am more concerned with price right now. The question is, is it better, even mildly, than what I have now: I don't need something uber-super, just a mild improvement, and something that isn't dying. This looks like a marginal improvement. Processors can be replaced, if need be. I still need more juice if I'm going to run that GPU.

The new GPU is an NVIDIA GTX 745, which uses about 300w. It's not considered that high-performance, but it's more than enough for my needs.

https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-745-oem/specifications

11. SylkRode

SylkRode Thread Starter

First Name:
    Matthew
    I am not looking to run the latest and greatest in gaming: the most recent game I play regularly is Crytpic's D&D MMO Neverwinter, which came out six years ago. I mostly split my free time (of which I have a great deal, sadly) between Star Trek Online and StarCraft 2, both of which were initially released in 2010. I've even been known to putt around in Black & White 2, which is from '05.

12. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive

Does booting into safe mode have any effect on the crashing?

13. SylkRode

SylkRode Thread Starter

First Name:
    Matthew
    I only just figured out how to trigger safe mode: none of the Function keys were doing it, then I noticed the boot screen listed "Boot Options" on the [ESC] key, which apparently was what I wanted. I've never run any computer for extended periods in safe mode, let alone this one. I can report, however, that, beside the blinking video feed (which gives me quite the start each time it happens), I have not had a a full-blown "incident" in several days, no lockups, no blackscreen crashes, no BSODs. I know better than to think all is well: the computer is imply asymptomatic for now. I've been trying to go easy on the old girl - every time something starts lagging a bit, telling me the processor is being taxed, I back off for a little while to wait for her to chill back down. The bluescreens did appear to be as a result of resource overloads: the computer would be thinking really hard, this program or that would be "Not Responding," then others would lock up, then the whole computer would crash.

14. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive

Since your system appears more stable in safe mode, that suggests possible software conflicts, driver conflicts, or corrupt system or registry files as the source of the system crashes. You can address these issues systematically by running 1) system file checker (sfc /scannow) in safe mode to repair system files. If repairs are made, reboot and run sfc again. 2) You can then run chkdsk to repair hard drive files and errors. You can try running chkdsk in Windows, if it runs without crashing, or in safe mode if it does crash. If, after running chkdsk, booting into Windows still leads to crashing, you will need to clean and reformat the hard drive followed by a reinstallation of Windows.

All of this is to deal with the system instability issues. Once dealt with, you can then try reinstalling your new GPU to see if it will work with your system. However, as pointed out by flavallee, your processor may not be equal to the task. And lunarlander raised the question of whether your psu is equal to the task. With a systematic approach you should be able to find out.

15. SylkRode

SylkRode Thread Starter

First Name:
    Matthew
    You have misunderstood me. I have not been running the computer in safe mode, I simply discovered how to access the feature. As for checkdisk, the BIOS lined one up all by itself the other day. I haven't had any problems - short of the display hiccups since that checkdisk. Maybe The video cutoff is just a harmless bug. Maybe the next step is trying the GTX745 again, to see if my bigger problems return? Is wiping my computer and starting from scratch really the most effective way forward? Or is the OptiPlex GX380 my most efficient course of action? I think I can scrounge together $150 or so, but fixing this replacing that, and repairing the other is going to leave me on the hook for a long time and a lot of money.

That still doesn't help me when it comes to matching the computer to the upgraded part. The Dell would need that PSU, but first I need to find a unit that is compatible before I waste hundreds on incompatible junk filling up my closet.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222537

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice