1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My homepage short cuts are not working

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by frank1631, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. frank1631

frank1631 Thread Starter

The icons or shortcuts on my home screen are not working, I keep getting sent to media center.

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

There's a safe and frequently recommended fix for this at Doug Knox's website in the XP Fixes section and you need to look for his LNK fix at http://www.dougknox.com. It will make changes to your Registry and reassociate the links.

3. Megabite

Megabite

• Download exefix_xp.com utility from > Here < and save to Desktop.
    • Double-click the file to run it.
    • This utility fixes the exefile association in the registry automatically.

Restart the PC.

4. frank1631

frank1631 Thread Starter

This is popping up when I try to run these;
    To open this file, windows needs to know what program created it. Windows can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from a list of programs on your computer.
    If I pick online, Then it takes me to Windows file association, then if I pick one it starts process all over again.
    If I choose from a list, Then it does not show any of the programs downloaded.

5. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

That's because the LNK isn't working but the site to which I directed you should have given you a Registry fix which would automatically put things right when you click it. Are you saying it didn't?

Megabite's suggested would have given you an .exe or .bin file which if saved to the Desktop and double clicked might throw that message if his theory that EXEs aren't working is right. You can correct that one after the LNK is put right.

6. frank1631

frank1631 Thread Starter

I went but I didn't know which one to pick, can you tell me?

7. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Go to this site then click on XP Fixes and File Association fixes. The LNK file fix is in the list as is another version of Megabite's suggestion - the EXEfile fix.

8. frank1631

frank1631 Thread Starter

Ok I went there and clicked Xp fixes then it leads me to Doug's Windows tweeks and tips, Now what?

9. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Click File Association Fixes and then click first on the LNK fix and then on the EXE fix. Once you've downloaded them (one second each), click on each in the same order and they will import into your Registry. When that's finished, restatr the computer - twice.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972344

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice