My HP Pavilion dv6-6c13nr Wireless Driver Will Not Install

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Aerodamus

Laptop's Support Page
Broadcom Wireless LAN Driver
Ralink 802.11 b/g/n WiFi Adapter

All three above links have been dead ends, and my pleas for help on the official HP Support Forums have collected cyberdust. As said, my laptop's model number is dv6-6c13nr. My laptop's Windows 7 was FUBAR from a computer virus that my sister managed to get on it somehow. I said to hell with it and just DBANed the entire hard drive and did a clean install of Windows 7. Everything was able install just fine except for the wireless adapter/driver.

I tried both the Broadcom Wireless LAN Driver and the Ralink 802.11 b/g/n WiFi Adapter linked in my PC model's driver page. On both of them, whenever I click on the downloaded file, nothing happens after the file unpacks, no installers run. I've tried running it regularly and running it as an administrator, I've also tried running the installers directly from where they were unpacked into the C drive, regularly and as an administrator.

All of the other drivers and software on my PC model's driver page installed just fine aside from the wireless, it's the only thing, and the most important thing, that I can't seem to get to work. The version of Windows 7 that shipped with the PC was Windows 7 Home Premium, the version that I have and that I installed is Windows 7 Ultimate. Are the drivers not Ultimate compatible?

I've also considered installing earlier versions of the drivers, but I can't find legacy versions anywhere that doesn't look sketchy. I would really appreciate some help with this.**

etaf

Wayne
the version that I have and that I installed is Windows 7 Ultimate.
did you purchase this W7 and is it genuine - we often see networking issues with NON-Genuine copies of windows

Why did you not just re-install
The version of Windows 7 that shipped with the PC was Windows 7 Home Premium
W7 Home Prenium

On the PC you will have a CoA label and the Key to use W7 Home Premium
download the ISO from here and create a bootable DVD
http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/
and install using the CoA key on the PC
then you have a genuine copy of windows on the PC

once you have done that , see if you still have issues with the wireless drivers

in order to identify which wireless adapter you have - do this
------------------------------------------------------------------------
How to identify hardware in Device Manager

right click on the device with a yellow!

from the menu choose
properties
Click on the Details Tab
Under the Property - drop down
Select hardware ids
Right click and select all
Then right click again and select copy
Copy and paste that information here

You should see a code similar to this

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_008A&SUBSYS_53058086&REV_34

please reply with the full code for your device(s)

The portion of the code highlighted in RED is the Vendor ID and the portion highlighted in GREEN is the Device ID. In this example:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_008A&SUBSYS_53058086&REV_34

Vendor ID = 8086
Device ID = 008A

Post back those two numbers make sure we know which is vendor ID and which is device ID

These codes can be looked up at this site http://www.pcidatabase.com/

As an example the link for that database tells us that;
Vendor ID code 8086 is for this vendor - Intel Corporation
Device ID code 008A is for this device - Intel Centrino Wireless-N1030

Unknown Device Identifier enables you to identify the yellow question mark labeled Unknown Devices in Device Manager.
http://www.zhangduo.com/udi.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aerodamus

The copy of Windows 7 Ultimate I have is genuine, with no other PC to use it on, and I'd strongly prefer to use that instead. As you can see from my specs, it''s leftover from when I upgraded to Windows 8.1 on this PC. I can't really do copy and pasting, seeing as I can't connect to the internet on the laptop, but I will do what you recommended and report back with the requested information.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
The HP Pavilion dv6-6c13nr Entertainment Notebook PC (A6Y59UA#ABA) does come with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

It does come with a 802.11b/g/n wireless device, but its product specifications section doesn't specifically identity it, so it may not be a Broadcom or Ralink model.

The instructions that etaf gave you will be able to confirm its identity from its vendor and device codes.

If it's gone bad for some reason, you can always use an external USB wireless device.

---------------------------------------------------------

If by any chance you need a recovery disc kit for that laptop, you can purchase it here or here.

---------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online