1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My IBM laptop screen won't turn on???

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nikkilayzgrl, Jan 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nikkilayzgrl

nikkilayzgrl Thread Starter

I have a older Imb laptop modle T23 computer and when I shut it down rather then using standby it takes several times trying to get it to come back on. I press the little round on/off button and the (z) button lights up and I hear the fan turn on and all of a sudden a series of beeps, and the screen won't turn on. The beeping is like 8 beeps, then stops but still nothing come up on the screen. Completely black! So i turn off the computer again, and turn on same thing. I continue doing this like 30+ times sometimes more sometimes less, then finally the beeps dont start and the screen is working. So needless to say its still working in the mean time, but its just such a pain if I shut it down. Does anyone know what may be causeing this and how I may be able to fix this problem. For now I am just going to continue using standby but when I have updates sometimes i need to shut down...Well hope you can help me! Thanks in advance! ~Nicole:(

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Chuck Trusted Advisor

3. nikkilayzgrl

nikkilayzgrl Thread Starter

Thanks for the qucik response!!
    I am pretty certain this sounds like it: One short beep, pause, three short beeps, pause, three more short beeps, and one short beep. In which it states on that website its,
    1. DIMM.
    2. System board
    I am not sure what that means though? Do you have any suggestions for me? Thanks for all your help!

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Chuck Trusted Advisor

According to the IBM site, the most likely problem is a failure of a Memory Module (DIMM) and the other less likely cause is a failure of the system board, which I would guess to mean the motherboard. In the first case replacing the plug-in memory expansion module might cure the problem. In the second case it may not be economical to repair or replace the motherboard.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/786038