1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My Icons and Files are not working

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by niteghost, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. niteghost

niteghost Thread Starter

I just screwed up my Computer and I need help . Every time I click on an Icon or try to Re-install any program I get a error message .

For example. When I double-click on the Flashget Download Manager Icon, I got this Error Message:

** Windows cannot find ' C:\Program Files\Flashget\Flashget.exe' Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start Button and then click the Search . **

This goes also for activating Notepad , can't find C:\Windows\Sytem32\Notepad.exe.

Please help !
    Thanks

Desperate :( :confused:

2. scmazter

scmazter

What the hell did you do? Delete all windows files???

Well, if you have windows XP, then put your XP cd, in the cd drive, restart, and choose the repair option.

If your computer won't boor from the CD, go to your BIOS (By pressing something like delete when your comp starts, eg. Press DEL to enter Setup and change the boot option to CD ROM somewhere in there).

Try last good known config before that though, although if you logged on after you have doen this, it might now work.

To choose last good known config, press F9 before the windows logo comes up at startup.

3. niteghost

niteghost Thread Starter

Good question! What the hell did I do >>. I wish I know, I won't be "Freakin' " the hell out now.
    I don't have the XP cd, I guess I will try to do a F9 before XP boot up and choose the Last good configuration.
    This newer computers do not come with XP CD , they come with the Xp Recovery in the D drive.
    If not what about booting in safe mode and do a system Restore ?
    and how do I do this ?

4. scmazter

scmazter

Choose safe mode from the same menu as last good known config.

If you use system restore, by all means use it through safe mode.

The windows recovery CD should be able to repair windows as well was the windows CD.

5. crushbone

crushbone

How did you manage to delete all of your Windows Files? You would have to be pissed to have done something like that!

6. bobol

bobol

did i miss something in post 1... where did he say he deleted all his windows files?
    First run adware and spybot [free at links below]......
    Let us know what happens.
    then regarding notepad.exe
    either;
    go here and get the notepad fix,
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
    or, if more likely is the case, you need to do a manual fix;
    * Go to your start menu and click, All Programs, Accessories, and then right mouse click on the notepad link then left mouse click on Properties. In the Target: window it should say, %SystemRoot%\system32\notepad.exe If it does not say that, type it in. Just below that is the Start in: window. It should read %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%
    ps.
    You still need to be sure that you have a copy of notepad.exe both in Windows and Windows\System32 folders.

Furthermore, afterwards send in a hijack this log here; here's how to post it after you get it from link below;

It’s very important that you save the log to its own permanent folder on your hard drive, such as program files or My Documents/hjt,or you may loose the ability to undo any changes you make (not temporary files or the desktop- or you may loose the ability to undo any changes you make) so that it can create proper back-ups and be able to restore them if necessary.

Close all open windows and open Hijack This. Click “Scan”. When the scan is finished (it only takes a second), the scan button will change to “Save Log”. Click on “Save Log” and then save it to NotePad. Click on “Edit” – “Select all” – “copy” and then “paste” into the thread.

DO NOT FIX ANYTHING YET;- Await further analysis here.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!