1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My IE can't or won't login through secure methods

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by WalshSean, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WalshSean

WalshSean Thread Starter

Yesterday I had a problem with that resulted in weird script popup things - that's been fixed. But I also started having a problem with secure logins.

Normal ones work fine, but when I and my brother try to log into Hotmail, Yahoo Mail (secure only; standard works fine), Google Groups and my brother's ESPN fantasy football, it doesn't work. In particular, it seems these logins require a redirect between login and getting into the account - that redirect doesn't work and often just stops in the middle of the login process. I actually found a way around the Google Groups problem (just go back to main page, hit refresh and I'm in) but these other methods don't have that luxury it seems.

(Yahoo even tells me my browser won't let me redirect and gives me another link to continue on - I didn't use that; I just got out and used the standard login instead.)

What could be causing this problem? Did some IE default get knocked out of whack (possibly because of my other problem?) perhaps?

2. rude

rude

Try this:
    Open Internet explorer/Tools/Internet Options/Programs.
    At the bottom,click on Reset web settings.
    Apply/OK
    Restart and try again.

If that doesn't work:
    You can clear the DNS resolver cache using the following command entered at the command prompt
    Start/Run Type: cmd OK
    In the Command window type: ipconfig /flushdns (Note the space between
    ipconfig and /flushdns)
    You can copy/paste: ipconfig /flushdns
    Hit the Enter button

If that doesn't work:
    start/ run type: regsvr32 softpub.dll
    ok/ ok on the next screen

If that doesn't work:
    Click Start, click Run, type the following command in the Run dialog box, and then click OK:
    regsvr32 urlmon.dll

Repeat step 1 for each of the following commands:
    You can copy/paste
    regsvr32 mshtml.dll
    regsvr32 shdocvw.dll
    regsvr32 browseui.dll
    regsvr32 msjava.dll

3. Andychambers

Andychambers

Hi guys this is my first post. I seem to have the same problems as WalshSean, my IE wont login in to secure sites, i.e shopping bsaket at amazon.

I tried all of the stuff above to no avail, ive also disabled my Firewall (which coincedently will no longer startup), reset tcp ip, switched security to medim-low and run spy ware and ad ware checks, all of which come up clean. If its any use certain applications that use the internet dont work, for example Filetopia, which use to run fine, however kazaa lite runs perfectly????

any help appreciated

cheers

4. WalshSean

WalshSean Thread Starter

None of these steps worked with the desired results. Everything went through OK, but still can't log on with those secure servers...

5. rude

rude

Some websites don't work properly with cookies disabled,and some don't work at all with session cookies disabled.

Go to tools/internet options/privacy/advanced,put a check in Override Automatic Cookie Handling,then accept First party cookies,prompt for third party cookies,then put a check in Always Allow Session Cookies. Ok your way out,then allow the same thing in your firewall.

Hope this works for you

6. WalshSean

WalshSean Thread Starter

Still nothing. Only thing I had to change was the "prompt for 3rd party" bit, everything else was already as you mentioned.

I found out about this site today -- http://www.verisign.com/advisor/check.html -- which checks your browser to ensure you can use SSL connections. My browser checked out just fine.

I also found an article on Microsoft's site about troubleshooting if I can't connect to SSL secured web sites, but nothing seems to be making a difference.

I am so lost...

7. rude

rude

Try adding the sites to Trusted sites in Internet Options:
    Internet Options/Security/Trusted Sites,click on the Sites button,on the next box ,add the address to the Trusted Sites list.

8. WalshSean

WalshSean Thread Starter

Which URL do I put on that list? The exact link where I do the secure login, or just the main site's URL?

And do I check or uncheck the https verification box (even though most of the pages in question don't seem to have that extra s)?

9. rude

rude

The exact link where I do the secure login,but it wouldn't hurt to put both.As for the https verification box,try both ways as a test and use the one that works.

10. WalshSean

WalshSean Thread Starter

Thanks.

I also happened to find this, while sifting through the computer last night:

The day all this trouble started (Sunday), it seems something called the certificate revocvation list (in one of my windows\system folders) was modified/accessed early in the morning (about when I first started using the computer that day).

Would that have any bearing on this problem, or just a coincidence?

11. rude

rude

Not sure but it could have a bearing , do you have a restore point from before you had this problem?

12. WalshSean

WalshSean Thread Starter

No restore point before the problem began, sorry. First time I ever did one was Monday to resolve another problem.

13. WalshSean

WalshSean Thread Starter

Well, I started punching some stuff into the Trusted Sites area, and it seems to be working on pages I couldn't access before.

It's not perfect (have to bounce around MSN and Hotmail to get into the mail section, and I'm not quite ready to punch in my Paypal info just in case...) but it seems to work. :)

14. rude

rude

Add these to the above
    regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
    regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
    regsvr32 Shell32.dll (Windows XP and Windows 2000 only)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271168

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice