My Internet browsing/downloading is extremely slow, yet online games are normal (DSL)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jlscoson

I've been on a DSL connection for some time now (almost a year), but around a few days ago, my connection speed for browsing the internet became extremely slow, staying around 500 bytes - 2Kbps. It would also take web pages a few refreshes to load completely. I use Opera as my main browser, but IE and Firefox are just as slow. However, my online games and bittorrent client are as fast as before... (This is Winodws XP SP2)

When I download a file on any internet browser, the file would download @ around 1kbps for a few seconds before the transfer rate goes to 0kbps, but there arent any error messages.

The other computers connected to the router don't seem to have anything wrong and their speed is the same as before.

These are the programs I installed around the time my internet slowed down:

.net framework 1.1 -which is now uninstalled
Norton Internet Security 2005 (w/ antivirus) - also now uninstalled

I have not touched any of my internet settings before this started happening

I have scanned my computer w/ Norton antivirus, AVG and various spyware cleaners all with the latest definitions and found nothing...

WTF is wrong with my connection??? Its PPPoe (at least that's what it says when it connects to the internet)

I can still play online games and use my bittorrent client without a hitch (same ping & dl/ul rates as before).

jlscoson

I have also tried disabling my firewalls nd have tried the Winsockxpfix and the TCP/IP reset thing

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online