My internet EXPLORER browser can not connect to one particular Web Site!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

katepina7

Hello, and thank you in advance.
I just try to connect to one particular web site, but it is impossible.
But when I try the same with the laptop next to me there is no problem.
I don't know why!!

What versions of internet explorer?
What happens when you try to go to this website? "Cannot find server" and "Page cannot be displayed"?
What website? If it uses flash or java or something that needs to be updated once in awhile, you should update that.

It may be blocked in your hosts file, too. Have you installed the Windows Update patch that prevented some sites from connecting (or incomplete page loading) after a recent hotfix was installed (813951, KB831167)?

Are you connected through a router or connection sharing?

Is it a secure server that requires 128-bit encryption?

Also if you know for sure it is a safe site put it in your trusted sites in IE properties
Peter

Some websites don't work properly with cookies disabled,and some don't work at all with session cookies disabled.

Go to tools/internet options/privacy/advanced,put a check in Override Automatic Cookie Handling,then accept First and third party cookies,then put a check in Always Allow Session Cookies. Ok your way out,then allow the same thing in your firewall.

Hope this works for you.

katepina7

rude said:
Some websites don't work properly with cookies disabled,and some don't work at all with session cookies disabled.

Go to tools/internet options/privacy/advanced,put a check in Override Automatic Cookie Handling,then accept First and third party cookies,then put a check in Always Allow Session Cookies. Ok your way out,then allow the same thing in your firewall.

Hope this works for you.
I did the first part. Then, in the second part about the firewall.
mine has 3 choices: Block all, Normal, Allow All. I put a check in Allow All ,for a while.
But still i have the same problem. Also consider that i used to visit this site before
without any problem at all !!

katepina7

Elvandil said:
It may be blocked in your hosts file, too. Have you installed the Windows Update patch that prevented some sites from connecting (or incomplete page loading) after a recent hotfix was installed (813951, KB831167)?

Are you connected through a router or connection sharing?

Is it a secure server that requires 128-bit encryption?
Through a router, and is a secure server that requires 128-bit encryption,as well. Also I don't think that installed any hot-fix under those numbers(813951, KB831167). :(

Through a router, and is a secure server that requires 128-bit encryption,as well. Also I don't think that installed any hot-fix under those numbers(813951, KB831167).
Those are the hotfixes that you should install. I thought when I read it over that it may not have been too clear.

Also, check your hosts file. It's unlikely, but the site could be blocked there.

Be sure that hidden files are unhidden in Folder Options. Then, look in Windows\System32\drivers\etc folder. You will see the "hosts" file with no file ending. Open it with Notepad. It should have no entries (default) except for the sample ones that are inactive. If it has other entries, let us now.

katepina7

Elvandil said:
Those are the hotfixes that you should install. I thought when I read it over that it may not have been too clear.

Also, check your hosts file. It's unlikely, but the site could be blocked there.

Be sure that hidden files are unhidden in Folder Options. Then, look in Windows\System32\drivers\etc folder. You will see the "hosts" file with no file ending. Open it with Notepad. It should have no entries (default) except for the sample ones that are inactive. If it has other entries, let us now.
This is what i get,following your suggestions!!

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

katepina7

Hello, Mobo
Here is the Hijack log

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 17:07:15, on 02/05/2004
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\Avsynmgr.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\mnmsrvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
C:\Program Files\Sophos SWEEP for NT\SWNETSUP.EXE
C:\Program Files\Sophos SWEEP for NT\SWEEPSRV.SYS
C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\VsStat.exe
C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\Avconsol.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
D:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation\Programs\vmware-authd.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\vmnetdhcp.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\mspmspsv.exe
C:\Program Files\WMPCI54G WLAN Monitor\WMP54G.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\internat.exe
C:\Program Files\Sophos SWEEP for NT\ICMON.EXE
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
D:\PROGRA~1\WinZip\winzip32.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.co.uk/
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - D:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\system32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Tweak UI] RUNDLL32.EXE TWEAKUI.CPL,TweakMeUp
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WMLAN54G.exe] C:\Program Files\WMPCI54G WLAN Monitor\WMP54G.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SmcService] C:\PROGRA~1\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe -startgui
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [internat.exe] internat.exe
O4 - Global Startup: InterCheck Monitor.LNK = C:\Program Files\Sophos SWEEP for NT\ICMON.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = D:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/unicode/iuctl.CAB?38083.7159027778
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab

Your hosts file is perfectly normal. We better look elsewhere.

Go to Windows Update if you haven't already and get those hotfixes. You can look in Add/Remove for those number to see if you have them already. But they will come up in the scan at WU if you don't have them.

katepina7

Elvandil said:
Your hosts file is perfectly normal. We better look elsewhere.

Go to Windows Update if you haven't already and get those hotfixes. You can look in Add/Remove for those number to see if you have them already. But they will come up in the scan at WU if you don't have them.
I found in Add/Remove only this: Internet Explorer Q831167, and not any
like KB831167 or 813951. Also, after the Windows update ,no critical updates
were found. what do i need to do next.!

What I would do Kate is run Windows Updates and have it gather together ALL of the hotfixes your system needs. Install them, and then check to see if the problem still exists. I would also install and run Ad-Aware www.lavasoftusa.com and see if there is any spyware on your system thats hindering the use of that site your attempting to get to.

Hope this works for you.

katepina7

rude said:

Hope this works for you.
Thanks for your reply and I do appreciate your help. I did exactly what you said on the internet explorer but I do not know how to do the same in my Sygate Personal Firewall (version 5.5). At the moment the firewall's security is set to normal (the other two options being 'allow all' and 'block all'). Do you mean I need to change this to 'allow all'?

Thanks once again

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online