1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved My Internet Goes Out Everytime I Connect With My PC

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bookbook, Sep 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bookbook

bookbook Thread Starter

Ok, so this only happens on one device (windows 10), and it only started happening recently. When I say it goes out, it doesn't really go out, it just becomes so incredibly slow, you can't do anything. I can't even run a speed test, it takes like 10 minutes to open one webpage, and usually it disconnects before it finishes and I have to reload it again.

So, recently i've been having internet problems. I realized that it only occurred when my PC was on, and realized it was only happening when the PC was connected to the internet. I thought since it was connected to the router through the ethernet cable, that was doing it, but I disconnected the ethernet cable, and it still was happening when I connected to the internet wirelessly. The only things that my PC are connected to is a power cable, and a cable connecting to my monitor. My router, home phone, and monitor are all connected to one extension cord, the power cable of my PC is hooked up to the outlet right next to the extension cable. I've tried multiple things so far, I reset my network settings, created a new user and logged into that and had the same problem. I ran malwarebytes (the trial version) and it didn't detect any threats. I've restarted my PC and router several times. None of it has worked. Here's some additional information that might be helpful: the internet goes out about a couple minutes after my device connects to the wifi, for those few minutes it works fine. Sometimes when I run a diagonistics test it gives me this message "A network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken", (this is even after I disconnected the ethernet cable) but usually it doesn't come up with anything. If you guys have any ideas, please let me know, otherwise I might reset my OS, and if that doesn't work, I am going to assume it's a hardware problem.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You may want to poke around in Task Manager (if this still exists in Windows 10) to try to determine what's happening. My first suspicion is that a bunch of updates, and/or really large updates, are being downloaded.

3. bookbook

bookbook Thread Starter

I tried looking and didn't see anything suspicious, or anything downloading. Do you mean something has already been updated or downloaded, or something is currently updating? Because I know nothing is updating or downloading that's causing the problem. Should I try resetting windows 10?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I have no other ideas on this.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Do you have any software that uploads or downloads files? Torrent software perhaps?

You may also want to scan your computer for malware with something liek MalwareBytes free.

6. bookbook

bookbook Thread Starter

Hey everyone, I reset windows 10 and the problem fixed. Thanks a ton for taking the time from your day to help me! I am curious on what the problem ever was though... (malwarebytes didn't find anything)

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Most likely a torrent or other download/upload program.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217232

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice