My internet is dropping whenever I open a folder on my pc

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

billaston21

Whenever I open file explorer my internet connection drops to 0 for 5 seconds or so and then comes back.
I have tried to fix this issue many times but any solution I found on the internet didn't work for me. I have tried all kinds of stuff like updating drivers, deleting suspicious programs, removing viruses, and much more. When opening task manager and then opening file explorer, it shows that nothing gets any connection (I figured that maybe the file explorer launches some kind of process that takes up all the internet but it shows that every process is getting 0 Mbps). This is becoming very frustrating because I edit many photos and videos and every time I wanna open a file my connection drops for 5 seconds.

Any help would be appreciated.
Please note that I am 17 and I don't really understand that sort of stuff. And also please excuse my English - it is not my primary language. Thanks!

Please state what windows version you have. You may need to update windows to the newest version.

If possible, post an image showing all active network processes, with the internet working and then with the internet dropping.

It seems that file explorer is causing your network to disconnect. Please state how long this has been happening.

You may need to try restarting. If you have done so, there are a few alternatives to file explorer. Try downloading one of them and test out whether they work.

billaston21

I've just tested an alternative to file explorer and the same problem occurs. I think I might try restarting if I won't find a solution soon. Anyway, thanks for the replies!

plodr

Liz
When the internet is up, WMI Provider host service is running.
When it drops, this service disappears and 3 new items appear: MS Search filte..., and MS Search Prot... and Service Host DNS Client.

Truthfully, I think AVG is creating the problem. Uninstall AVG and use Windows Defender.

Another cause might be Discord.
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/fvrp6f

Couriant

James
To confirm, please can you tell us what build of Windows 10 you have?

To find this info, type winver in the search bar and press enter

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online