1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My Internet Thinks I'm in Germany (and I'm not)?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by enronian, Jun 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. enronian

enronian Thread Starter

For some reason my internet recently started thinking I was in Germany:

yahoo.com goes to http://de.yahoo.com/?p=us

google.com goes to http://www.google.de/

I've checked all my language and regional settings that I can think of (internet settings and control panel) but I can find no way of changing it back. Malware/virus scans find nothing. Does anyone know how this could have happened and how I can fix it?

2. techdawg667

techdawg667

Do you have Google Toolbar? If so then check to see the language or region settings.

3. enronian

enronian Thread Starter

Cant find where that option is, but when I installed the google toolbar it said english us as the setting however when I go to google it still says google germany.

4. techdawg667

techdawg667

Go to Settings (for Google Toolbar) > Options > Features tab > Search Box Settings > Then in the "Use Google Site" dropdown menu choose US.

5. enronian

enronian Thread Starter

Says united states of america (.com) ><

6. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Are you using an anonimity program through a proxy?
    I use JAP sometimes and it defaults to a german IP.

7. enronian

enronian Thread Starter

No I am not.

8. enronian

enronian Thread Starter

Any other ideas?

9. Eriksrocks

Eriksrocks

Go here:
    http://www.whatismyipaddress.com/

It will tell you where the physical location of your IP is. Is it close to where you really live or is it in Germany? :D

10. enronian

enronian Thread Starter

It says I am in Kansas although I am in Minnesota, both are not anywhere close to Germany :p

11. Eriksrocks

Eriksrocks

I'm in Minnesota too :)D), but it actually says I'm in Minnesota and not Kansas. Refresh that page a couple of times and see if you're IP and/or location changes. Restart the browser a couple of times also and go to that page and see if it changes.

If it does, you're using some kind of proxy, whether you're meaning to or not. :)

12. enronian

enronian Thread Starter

Nope no changes in IP

13. enronian

enronian Thread Starter

I can set it to the US sites by clicking on the US option at yahoo/google but whenever I clear the internet cache (such as cookies and history) it starts bringing me to the german version again.

14. Eriksrocks

Eriksrocks

Try it on a different browser such as Firefox, or if you're using Firefox try it on IE and see if you are still redirected to the German versions. :)

It's very odd because it looks like your IP is where it should be (or close), but you're still getting redirected to the German versions. Here is an explanation from Yahoo! on how they redirect people to country specific sites:

And the explanation from Google:

It's almost laughable how similar they are - almost exact copies! :D :eek:

And that's why it's so odd. Your IP shows you're in Kansas, but Google and Yahoo are both detecting that you're in Germany. :)

15. enronian

enronian Thread Starter

I still am, either on Firefox or IE (even after installing firefox 3 still in german)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/722342