1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My keyboard stops working after boot?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tieb, Dec 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tieb

Tieb Thread Starter

I'm trying to boot from a DVD, and it says "press any key to continue". Problem is though, my keyboard dosent respond. When i'm entering BIOS it works fine, its only after it tries to boot. I know this because i also tried inserting a boot CD that didnt need a key pressed to boot, and when i tried using the keyboard inside that it didnt work either.
    I'm trying to install Vista on a clean harddisk so my computer is completely useless till i get this to work, please help.

2. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

and the type of keyboard you are using is???? USB or ps/2

3. windgod14

windgod14

Well. this is extremely common on USB and Wireless Keyboards that require software to function.
    That's why you should always have a plain ps/2 keyboard for whenever you need to do things outside of windows.
    as to getting it to work...i dunno i would just use another keyboard.

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If you have a USB keyboard, check your bios and ensure Legacy Devices is enabled.

5. Tieb

Tieb Thread Starter

Thank you Dustyjay! When i looked closely through BIOS i found "support for USB keyboard" disabled. I feel so stupid... :D

Thanks again!

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Dont feel stupid. Sometimes this is something that is not looked at when troubleshooting these sorts of problems. My present computer recognizes usb keyboards and mice with out setting changes in bios. I can select however to enable or disable the PS2 ports. you can mark this thread solved by clicking the link at the top of your thread.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/781221

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice