My laptop battery will only charge for ~20 minutes if I reseat it, then it just goes

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Daredeval756

I have an HP DV7T series notebook that is starting to irritate me. I run Ubuntu on it, and was on 12.04 for the longest time. I finnally made the upgrade to 12.10 and that is when the symptoms started.

My battery will charge, but only for about 20 minutes then my laptop ignores the fact that the charge is in. In order for it to start charging again, I have to turn it off, reseat the battery and it starts charging again. The light next to the charging port is lit up, but the battery indicator light on the front does not light up indicating a charge, nor does the battery charger in Ubuntu. The battery still has a healthy life, prior to this happening 2 days ago it worked just fine. It will also run just fine on AC power if I take out the battery.

Because this started happening with the Ubuntu update, I backed everything up and switched to Fedora 18 hoping it would solve my issue. Unfortunatly that is not the case. I have tried reseating the RAM taking out the CMOS for a couple minutes.

Has anyone every seen this before or have any ideas?

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Have you considered going back to Ubuntu 12.04 ?

Daredeval756

Have you considered going back to Ubuntu 12.04 ?
I am currently downloading an image of it as I type. I am thinking / *hoping* it may be a kernal issue, which is why it may have transfered to Fedora 18, as they may both be using the latest linux image/kernal.

It is very likely that you will find that your battery needs replacement. It is possible that the charging system is faulty, but with lower probability. I would bet that the operating system makes no difference.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online