My Laptop Gets VERY HOT...I used to leave it on for days at a time. HELP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

itsjustmerob

Hello I have a DELL XPS M170 Laptop. I used to run an ebay business which I would sell INSTANT DELIVERY items. I used Outlook Express to send emails once I had received payment. Outlook Express has an option that it will automatically send emails if it picks up key words. The problem was that my laptop had to be on with Outlook Express running in order to instantly send emails. I used to leave my laptop on for days at a time, not only that but I had it on a bed so there wasnt any airflow. I know im a IDIOT for that and it was the biggest mistake I ever made. My laptop doesnt have any problems like shutting down or anything like that. It actually still runs perfectly except that it gets so hot I could barely touch the bottom of it. After leaving it on for a couple hours i could feel the heat coming through the top. I need your help guys what can I do to fix my very hot laptop. What part do I need to replace (because I know I need to replace something) in order to get my laptop back to its original condition? All the replys from other people about this type of situation always say use air to blow out dust but that is clearly not the case for me. I left my laptop on for days and it wasnt on a flat surface. I basically just need to know what i need to replace in my laptop and I can just purchase the new part and install it myself. I am aware of laptop cooling pads but I just want to fix the problem. I would really appreciate ANY help from anyone who knows which part is getting hot from leaving it on too long. Thanks! Robert Cestero

If you would like to send me a direct email please send it to - [email protected] - thats my sidekick email so i will get it immediately. But i will check these posts so that will be fine too. Thank you guys soo much!

Hi!

Well, the others were not all wrong. I would also suggest a cooling plate until you get the heat condition under control. However, when you get cooling plates you have to make sure that the fans on the cooling plates allow airflow in the same direction as your laptop provides airflow.

Air to blow out the fans on the laptop is a great idea. These fans will build up a film and collect dust & dirt. The weight then causes the fans to no perform to standard and eventually the laptop will over heat!

As to what you have to replace, I’d probably say that your system fan / fans need to be replaced. Possibly even the CPU cooler may need to be replaced. Most laptops have at least 3 fans on them now days.

I would go to Dell’s support website, create yourself an account on there, enter your system Service Code or Express Service Code. This will give you full access to all the information about the system and hopefully even to a service manual. The service manual will provide you all the details on how to disassemble the laptop and also all the part numbers too.

I hope you are prepared to learn on laptops! They can be tough to disassemble and reassemble!

Thanks……………. Shane

itsjustmerob

Hello, I am very advanced when it comes to removing and installing parts and as for repair manuals I sell every single type of repair manual (acer,dell, compaq, hp, sony, toshiba, gateway etc.). Its definitely not the fans, i told you that i left my computer on for DAYS at a time so something was left on for too long and is now over heating. I have three of them and they work fine. My computer never got this hot untill i left it on for a couple days at a time for about 2 or 3 months. I can feel it underneath towards the center of my computer but then i can actually feel the same hotness all along the back of the laptop. Its a part I need to replace Im not sure if its the motherboard or the processor. I was hoping someone with experience could tell me exactly what needs to be replaced once you have left a laptop on for too long and it gets too hot. Because there is a certain part that must be getting hot. Please anyone help me with this. I am very experienced when it comes to computers and can build them on my own but I just need to know which part overheats and stays overheating if you leave these laptops on for too long. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated. And again you can contact me at the above email address that I provided in my FIRST POST. Thanks so much! Rob

It's all about airflow. Your fans are KEY to it. Replace the fans, make sure their isn't anything obstructing the airflow inside the laptop. Do you know if your CPU cooling fan is running at the correct speeds vs. the heat? CAn you see your fans? If your system is stable, then the odds of your processor or mobo being the cause of the excess heat is very slim. The cheapest parts to replace are the fans. Sure, your HDD could be starting to overheat causing the system to heat up too.

As to "I left my computer on for DAYS" .... Mine all stay on 24/7/365. When they begin to overheat, I replace the fans in the laptops... Things work fine afterwards. Signs of this are that the fans run full blast 95% of the time attempting to cool the system, but do not achieve it completely. They do keep it running, but much warmer to the touch.

Sorry, just my opinion. If you want to replace the motherboard and processor go ahead. I'd still repalce the fans first since they are cheaper! Check your BIOS and see what the temperatures are... provided that series has the temperature monitor in it.

Thanks!

itsjustmerob

Hello Pinntech, ok im first going to try cleaning the fans but I will order new ones now and try that first. But how do I check my BIOS? My laptop definitely has that because its one of the best laptops made about a year ago...its a DELL XPS M170........as for DR. Chauncey thanks i will try that too because I think my heat sink is getting hot too. That is my third fan right pinntech? Because i have two small on each side then I have one in the middle, thats my heat sink fan with the processor on it right? Thanks guys for you help and will be waiting on your responses! Your friend, Rob

That is weird. I have an XPS M170 laptop and have had it for two years and no heating problems at all. It's been on for weeks and no issues at all. No change and a few reboots. I did have to replace the hard drive but that was about it and was still under warantee. No issues otherwise. Some hard drive noise but I recognized the drive was not good. I would go ahead and clean it out like itsjustmerob suggested. Make sure nothing is obstructing the air flow.

itsjustmerob

Jazzgirl, itsjustmerob is ME the person who is asking the question. We both have the same laptops but have you left your laptop on for weeks on your bed? Leaving your laptop on a bed or couch or anything like that obstructs airflow. As to ANYONE else out there someone emailed me and told me that they had a problem like this and it was there video card. I have Nvidia GeForce Go 78000 GTX video card and when looking at where its located in my laptop (with my repair manual) its actually located in the place where I can feel the most heat. Its a part that has a small rectangle with lines streching out from both left and right side of it. Its runs along the whole backside wall of my laptop and that where i feel the most heat. Has anyone ever heard of that? Can it be my video card that is overheating and giving off so much heat. I kinda know that that will be the problem and it sucks because the video card is about 400 dollars. Let me know guys thanks!

I'm sure you're tired of hearing about dust and airflow but in all honesty I'd have to agree with the others on that. If you can disassemble the computer or even just gain access to the part where your graphics card is you'll probably see that the heatsink is covered in a dust / fluff build up and that'll add to the heat it generates for sure. It isn't exactly the same but my brother left his video recorder on the floor ages ago and it overheated because of sucking up dust and dirt from the carpet it was resting on.

As for the bit where you wrote:-

"But how do I check my BIOS? My laptop definitely has that because its one of the best laptops made about a year ago...its a DELL XPS M170........as for DR"

All computers have a BIOS, regardless of brand so it doesn't matter when it was made. When you turn the computer on there'll be a screen where it mentions your processor, memory amount and an option to press a key to enter the BIOS. It's usually the F2, ESC or DEL key.

If nothing works I'm sure you could do a search on google for similar issues, you'll likely not be the only person that's had it.

itsjustmerob

Hello EVERYONE! GUESS WHAT??? I took apart my whole laptop just to clean out the dust and check the fans and you wont believe the amount of black dust and just like DYONAS said FLUFF that I found. When i looked i actually thought it was a filter because the dust that was trying to get out actually looked like a filter it was a half of an inch thick! I removed it and cleaned out everything. As i have heard in another post the compressed air in a can (DUSTER) sucks! It has a hard blow for the first 20 seconds, then after that it felt like someone was just blowing soo soft. I actually blew the rest out with my mouth i blew soo hard my face was covered in dust! LOL. Then i cleaned the rest out with a q-tip. I would recommend using something with a compressor to blow out the stuff in your laptop. And guess what PROBLEM SOLVED!! The laptop is soo cool to the touch i left it on for 10 hours just to see and it felt cold! YESS!!!My laptop is back to normal! I thought I was going to have to sell it on ebay for $500.00 but now I can sell it for over $1000.00 which is what its worth! If anyone is interested in purchasing a DELL XPS M170...it has 2GB of memory , 100GB hard drive a Nvidia Video card 256mb, a 17in truelife gloss screen. It even has a built in subwoofer underneath the laptop. It cost $4999.00 when it came out 2 years ago. Its an incredible machine basically a gaming machine built for a computer god. The laptop looks BRAND NEW with not one single scratch ANYWHERE on the laptop. If anyone is interested let me know you can contact me at - [email protected]

I want to thank everyone for their help and i shouldve just listened to everyone in the first place. But i thought since i used to leave it on for days at a time that it had to be something else. Thanks! Rob

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online