1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My Laptop Hardly Ever Connects To Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rex777, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rex777

rex777 Thread Starter

Hi my name is Debbie and i will be very greatfull if you can help me with this issue that has been going on ever since i got ny laptop months ago.

I Have a router in my house which was bought to power both my Laptop and the main computer fvor the children e.t.c. the router is a BT_HUB-E-726 -

The main computer will pick up the router easily and will be connected within sedonds of switching the computer on. so this computer is fine ,which is enoying because i want to sit down and relax on my laptop which i am hardly ever able to do.

My Laptop which is a Toshiba Satellite 4070CDS, will easily find the router as when you click on view avaliable wireless networks it is always there saying that the router is in range i am only about 2 metres away fron it, so i then click on connect it takes a while to search and then it wont connect , the wireless network highlited in blue will dissapear for a short time the screen will go white wirth writing in the middle saying searching for wireless networks on range , then it will load back up again and we start the whole process again , - it will say unable to connect to wireless network, when clicked on repair it will try to repair and it will say unable to repair connection - unable to connect to the wireless network.

this is one of the very rare tines it has connected - in facrt i didnt connect it - earlier on today i loaded rthe computer up and tried all this try to connect and it not connect rubbish,i left the laptop on and about half an hour later i came back to it and it appeared to of connected by itself this happens about 75% of the time of succesfull connectings.

there seems to be nothing wrong with the router as the main p.c. is working'
    and the lan card seems to be ok because it can pickup the router but it cant connect
    i have the firewall turned off and that because i have heard that that can unterupt the connection - as i just want to be able to connect when i want to . when i run the connection diagnosis thing i get thie infornation if it means anything to yoy as i cant understand it.

info The Wireless Network name (SSID) to which the user would like to connect = BTHub-E726.

User input required: Specify network name or SSID

WinSock Diagnostic
    WinSock status

Wireless - Radio off

Wireless - Out of range

Wireless - Hardware issue

Wireless - Novice user

Wireless - Ad-hoc network

Wireless - Less preferred

Wireless - 802.1x enabled

action Manual repair: Verify 802.1x configuration
    info Redirecting user to support call

info IrDA protocol is not found in Winsock catalog.
    info All base service provider entries are present in the Winsock catalog.
    info The Winsock Service provider chains are valid.
    info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP] passed the loopback communication test.
    info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP] passed the loopback communication test.
    info Provider entry RSVP UDP Service Provider passed the loopback communication test.
    info Provider entry RSVP TCP Service Provider passed the loopback communication test.
    info Connectivity is valid for all Winsock service providers.

Network Adapter Diagnostic
    Network location detection

info Using home Internet connection
    Network adapter identification

info Network connection: Name=Wireless Network Connection, Device=Am1772(tm) Wireless LAN Chipset, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=WIRELESS
    info Wireless connection selected
    Network adapter status

info Network connection status: Media disconnected

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
    HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
    warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
    warn FTP (Passive): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
    warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.hotmail.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
    warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.passport.net: The server name or address could not be resolved
    warn FTP (Active): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
    error Could not make an HTTP connection.
    error Could not make an HTTPS connection.
    error Could not make an FTP connection.

i would be so gratefull if together we can get this sorted , this is si frustrating for someone who knows very little about computers - please help me on this enoying matter,

thankyou very much for reading - Debbie .,h:)

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    One common cause of your symptoms is having two wireless utilities (clients) running--they will conflict. One of the possibilities is Windows XP's Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC). From your description it sounds like you may be using this one.

To see if it is running: Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services - find Wireless Zero Configuration. If this is not the one you are using then Stop it and set the Startup Type to 'disabled.'

If there is another one it should have an icon in the Notification Area (System Tray) at the lower right beside the clock. Its name may include the manufacturer of your wireless adapter or maybe Toshiba. If you are not using it there should be an option to turn it off or 'use Windows.'

3. rex777

rex777 Thread Starter

hi terrynet and thankyou for your reply

i have performed the actions u suggested

i went onto administrative toold and on to services

and yes there was a wireless zero connection

i stopped it and disabled it

but i havent got another iconin the bottom corner so i dont no what to say

now i have disabled and stopped the wirless zero connection

the view wireless networks in range says

"windows cannoit configure this wireless connection

if you have enabled another program to manage this wireless connection,use that software

if you want windows to configure this wireless connection,start the wirless zero onfiguration (WZC) service.For informationabout starting the WZC service , see article871112 in the microsoft knowldege base on microsoft.com website.

so would this mean that i only have 1 client running so i should turn it back on as it doesnt affect it (being if there was 2 as you said)

another thing i may mention is i am an AOL customer - i dont no if this makes a difference. ?

so then whats the next step or thing to try for my laptop ?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I assume that the laptop is not connecting while WZC is disabled. So, yep, you need one client, so get WZC running again.

AOL is just one big bundle of problems in my opinion, but don't think it could be involved in your wireless connection problem.

Next go to Toshiba's web site and see if there is an updated driver for your wireless adapter.

If your network is secured that's a good thing, but while working on this problem please disable encryption on the router.

While trying to connect via wireless please show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/635572

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice