1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My laptop has stopped scanning for wifi - only the ethernet cable will allow internet

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bluedandylyon, Sep 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluedandylyon

bluedandylyon Thread Starter

Hello

My laptop recently got a horrible virus which I managed to fix despite being a girl! :)
    However
    One of the remaining side effects of the virus is that it will not scan for wireless networks - every time I try it says :

"Windows cannot configure this wireless connection"
    and
    "If you want Windows to configure this wireless connection, start the Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC) service"

So I can currently only connect to the internet using an ether net cable, which is very restricting as it means I can't take my laptop to a cafe etc.

Things I've tried :
    > Turning it on and off again - yes - in every way - the router, the laptop, the cabelling all of it.
    > Other laptops - I have had friends bring their laptops round and they have been able to scan for and connect to my wireless network - so the problem is definitely with my laptop.
    > System Restore - I have tried to restore back to the week before the laptop got the virus, but this has not solved the problem.

Could it be that the virus made my computer go into some kind of emergency attack mode and then the firewall got effected?

Any advice would be very gratefully received - thanks in advance for your help!

It is a Toshiba A100-920 laptop running Windows XP.

xx

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/951187

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice