1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

My laptop is factory reset, but boots slow?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Z121, Dec 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Z121

Z121 Thread Starter

Hi. I have a laptop with Windows 7, which has an Intel Core i7-2630QM, an Nvidia GT540M, 6GB RAM, and a 640GB 5'400RPM HDD. It boots into the Windows 7 logon screen once started in less than 30 seconds, BUT, after my password is entered, the Welcome screen hangs on there for around 25 seconds, and the desktop loading is slow. Totally, 115 seconds average. Disabling start-up programs doesn't help, and I have a JPG HD image background.
    How can I make desktop loading way faster? Creating another user from scratch and trying to start that won't work...

Things I've tried:

1.) Going to BIOS and looking for a "Quick Boot" option or similar. NOT found.

2.) Disabling/unchecking all start-up programs and rebooting.

3.) Creating a new user, and rebooting, to then log in it.

4.) Factory resetting it, same effect.

It takes 30 seconds to get to the log-in screen (pretty good IMO), then as soon as I log on my account, the Welcome screen hangs there for around 25 seconds. THEN, the desktop takes some extra 30 seconds to show ALL icons and gadgets...

Extra Comments:

If I restart the laptop, it is a LITTLE bit faster.

If I put laptop to sleep, obviously faster, but not as fast as should be.

If I leave laptop on log-in screen for around 4 mins., then try to log in, Welcome screen hangs for around 7 seconds, BUT desktop loading is same slow.

If I delay a little bit checking BIOS options, then I "Discard Changes and Exit", then boot W7, it's a little faster.

What is wrong? Reviews say it can boot in exactly a minute... :(?

Should I get an SSD or a faster HDD? I'm thinking on buying an OCZ Agility 3 120GB to replace my 640GB HDD... Opinions?

2. Hughv

Hughv

Open Device manager and see if any drivers are missing.
    What apps are in the Startup folder?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032944

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice